Tax Tip 46: Want to Pay IO on a PI loan?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Terry_w, 3rd Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PeterW

PeterW Well-Known Member

Ok thanks Terry, makes sense. However to really get this strategy humming, it would be good to have it automated, rather than do manual transfers of the interest amount. Especially if doing this across a number of loans.

And to the previous points about why do this/is this the best use of funds. Sure, for me it is. I have plenty of unused loan funds and nothing to spend them on (or probably more accurately, given my current portfolio, it doesn't work for me to go and put 100% of these extra funds into a new IP/shares). Good idea Terry!

Terry_w and Beano like this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A refinance means a reduction to one loan with a offsetting increase to another. A zero sum game. If anything occurs that produces a tax benefit eg capitalising amounts then Part IVA may apply. It may be complex and difficult to demonstrate the deductible % over time. Borrowing to pay the capital component seems a potential Part IVA issue for capitalising borrowings and a ruling would be suggested

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Has anyone attempted this strategy yet?

4. Terry_w

5. Terry_w

I have covered this topic in Episode 95 of my podcast " Paying Interest Only on a Principal and Interest Loan"

craigc likes this.
  6. Terry_w

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.