Tax refund or CGT Deduction

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by vtt, 30th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Would appreciate some advice on the best way to claim some painting work that we had done on what was previously an IP but is now a PPOR.

Property was tenanted from June 2014 (settlement) until end June 2015. It was then vacant for 2 months while we did some renovation work and we moved into the property in August.

We had some inside and outside painting done and the painter has given us a "cash price" (no receipt) and an "on the books price" (with receipt). The difference in prices is $550.

If we pay cash then we save $550 but I assume we can't use this to offset against any CGT payable when we sell (at an unknown point in the future). If we pay the OTB price then I assume we can claim it - but my question is will it be worth it? Is the CGT saving going to be equal to or more than what we will pay?

Thank you
    Vtt

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Non deductible as you have no substantiation if you choose to participate in a tax avoidance scheme.
    Non-deductible if you get a receipt as it lacks the nexus to the former IP use. It has become a part of a renovation for purpose of private use.

Yes a future CGT cost IF you have a receipt.

3. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul. We are going with the on the books option.

vtt