Tax on Airbnb.

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by tilt10, 17th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

I have these friends who told me they don't have to pay tax on Airbnb on their principal home because their accountant told them it was classed as a "hobby"and they were earning less than 10 k return for the year
    Seems to be a loophole? They both work full time jobs. Is this correct?
    .Seems strange to me.

2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Not an advice and not sure about AirBNB. But if it is a non systemic and business like then it is a hobby. The test is that it shouldn’t be carried as a business activity which includes items like advertising.

Based on that I would assume that it is still taxed. However if the revenue is low, and it is patchy (a few times a year) it would generally be classified as a hobby.

Australia in general is much much more generous than other countries. In France, every dollar is taxed.

3. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

I would respectfully suggest that your friends get the advice documented by their accountant with supporting case law and tax rulings behind it.

In particular the advice should refer to Tax Ruling 97/11.

I think that the act of letting your home on Air BNB is done only with the intention of generating rental income and is not a recreational pursuit.

Playing golf and winning 10k at the local club championships is a hobby. Painting landscapes and then having a random pay you for it is a hobby.

wylie, Terry_w and Ed Barton like this.
  4. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Uber is a hobby. There's nothing I;d rather be doing at 2am than driving around drunk smelly people.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

ATO do a lot of cross matching. They have already stated they are checking Uber and Airbnb records to ensure income is declared. eBay has already been targeted.

So tell friend not to be surprised to get a curt letter from the ATO asking why income has not been declared.

Making and selling pottery mugs may be classed as a hobby. Renting out rooms is not.
    Marg

Ross Forrester likes this.
  6. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Eventually they will get a “please explain” from ATO.

7. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Hard to argue its a hobby.

However the offsetting costs on 10k. Portion of rates , insurance, electricity, interest, depreciation etc may mean there is not much profit left to be assessed on anyway.

8. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

Thanks members for your help . Very informative. Great help to other member in the same boat. It amazes me the number of people that rent a room out on Airbnb in their principle home are don't seem to be worried about the loss of capital gains.

Simon likes this.
  9. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

you dont lose the main residence exemption from renting a room through AirBNB. the property becomes subject to CGT on a proportionate basis. area and time may be a reasonable allocation. would depend on circumstances.

with all the third element costs involved added to the cost base and time value of money it may well be worth it.

that same after tax income used today to pay down non deductible debt such as a main residence loan may result in tens of thousands in interest savings over 20 years. Over the same 20 years all those third element costs and the proportionate use will have whittled the CGT down considerably. Add to that a 50% discount and it may well be worth it.

Money today used to pay down non deductible debt today is a lot better than paying later on.

Last edited: 17th Feb, 2018
  10. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

Pretty unlikely.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.