Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Tax impact if refinancing PPOR loan with existing split already used to purchase IP

Discussion in 'Property Finance' started by e96anban, 2nd Sep, 2015.

1. e96anban

e96anban Member

Hi,
    I am looking at possibility of refinancing my PPOR to another banking institution due to limited split ability.
    I have 1 split I/O acc which have been used to pay for an IP. I am looking to change the account into a LOC when i refinance it.
    Since the fund withdrawn from new loan doesnt seem to be directly used to pay income generating investment, would this have a tax impact to the interest that I can claim for tax deduction??
    Appreciate some advice

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

If you refinance existing loans in their current form (ie keeping amounts the same) the deductibility doesn't change. If you do a top up, for eg changing a $100k loan into a $150k LOC, the new funds become deductible when you use them for investment. While they're unused, they aren't accruing any interest to deduct.

BUT if you do a top up and use some of the funds for non-investment then it becomes much more complicated. It's better to create new loan splits to keep deductions clear, even when it's all for investment purposes.

3. e96anban

e96anban Member

Noted. Thanks jess