Health & Family Tattoos - anybody regret having them later?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by val, 24th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. val

val Well-Known Member

I acquired a lot of tattoos in my twenties and thirties. Seemed like a good idea at the time but not so sure now I am approaching 50 as they go down to my forearms and calves. Any of you guys get inked and regret it now or have experience with tattoo removal? Should I get them removed or just embrace the inked up older guy look?

New Town likes this.
  2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are you finding that the tattoos are a problem for you in getting or retaining work or relationships?

Are any of the tattoos rude, embarrassing or really dated?

If so, then worth considering removal - however it can be pricey and takes a few sessions. I haven’t had tattoos because of the ‘permanance’ factor.

val likes this.
  3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I have a small butterfly on my back - you know - the "thing" back in the early 90's. My regret is that my now hubby doesn't like the idea of me getting it covered with a wild dragonfly.

Another thing to add to the "if he dies first" list ;)

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Translation: no kids(rug rats).

val likes this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

At least it’s not a ‘tribal’ armband!

val likes this.
  7. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"You're a *****"

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Before anyone gets "up in arms" - I am fully expecting to be an 80-something - made an unauthorised break from the nursing home - clambering out of my soft top, two door, deep red Jeep Wrangler - armed with zimmer-frame ... as I totter into the tattoo parlor

9. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Are you embarrassed by them or uncomfortable about other judgement? If it is either of these situations, why?

Often people change social circles & attitudes as they age.... is this you?

Unfortunately, people will be judgemental regarding tattoos particularly those of “higher social standing”. To them I say be damned because one can still get a personal invite to the Governor General’s house whilst rocking tattoos (& not be a celebrity).... many of the high & mighty judgmental types would dream of such ocassions, so don’t let others make you feel uncomfortable. Just pity them.

If it’s of a more personal nature, then maybe.... ie. an ex’s name etc... this is a prime removal candidate.

val likes this.
  10. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I'm 43, I always wanted a tat but didn't get around to it until I was in my late 30's. I don't regret it and will be going to get more in a few weeks.

I hope when I am 90, some "youngun" comes and asks me about them as they tell a story of my journey :).

samiam and val like this.
  11. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I had a bloke come over a few years ago to give me a hand with some gyprocking on a ceiling. I said, 'Mohammed, you have to let me take a photo of your tattoo.'
    I asked him whether he was on first name terms with the Sydney Middle Eastern Crime Squad. He said they didn't use his first name.
    He regretted his tatt, but couldn't afford to do anything about it. He showed me a scar on his arm where his mum removed a tatt he got as a 15 year old with a razor. The leg tatt might have been a bit too much for mum to tackle.
    I explained that he could get the leg one made into a design - letters filled in etc - so the words would not be legible anymore. I'm not sure he understood what I was talking about.

Attached Files:

Toon and val like this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Depreciator - maybe Mo absolutely loved the NWA album.

Louis XIII likes this.
  13. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Id be surprised if everybody with tattoos doesnt regret them at some point.

14. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

No regrets whatsoever here.

val and jim1964 like this.
  15. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yet

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

It's only been a few years. Give it time.

Joynz likes this.
  17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Personally, I hate tattoos. I think they look incredibly tacky. But, that's my personal opinion & I have family & friends that have them & I don't think poorly of them for their choice.

I liken it to this. I'm not particularly fond of the colour dark green, and there are many people that dress in green & look quite nice, but I wouldn't necessarily wear those same clothes. However, if those people dressed in dark green from head to toe, like kermit the frog, I would think they look rediculous.

18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Rediculous? Don't you mean greeniculous?

19. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Its a personal thing, the days of being stereotyped are long gone.Personally i have a back totally covered with everthing from eagles to butterflies,ying yangs to flowers, ex wives names to current wifes name.No regrets here either.I would show them off here with a picture, but would need a wide lens :)

val and Lizzie like this.
  20. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Of late I've had the urge to get another. Not sure what, and not sure where. Ive considered having one on an 'exposed' area, which mesns a lot of research to get the right thing in the right spot without looking tacky or bad.

Personally I love piercings. I have 9. I think I like the pain. Nowhere left for the imagination to get another, so thats why the tattoo idea has come about.

pinkboy