TAS Tasmania

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 1st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bozley

Bozley Well-Known Member

Agree - they are really something special. It so nice to have the water underneath and all the bird life on the river. We have just sold ours because we live on the waterfront in Lutana (next bay around). We actually used ours to live in for a while although officially this isn't allowed

2. radson

radson Well-Known Member

legallyblonde, Bozley and Redom like this.
  3. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

As long as you don't like swimming or fishing or drinking the water ;)

littlefinger likes this.
  4. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

Has anyone purchased property or done some research on Devonport and Burnie? I'm seeing some good yields on properties with water views for under 200K but not sure about CG potential (maybe in long term 20 years..)

5. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Devonport is closer to Launsceston , so I think that's an advantage and it has the ferry .

Check this , but I think Burnie had a bigger population drop associated with the closure of businesses in recent times , but their doing a refurb of the waterfront .

I'd be looking at vacancy rates closely .

Most of Tassie , including queenstown went up with the last cycle , so I see no reason why it won't do the same this time.

The whole of the north coast is gaining attention in terms of agriculture and a retirement venue for mainlanders priced out .

Do check out Launnie and Ulverston as well .

Cliff

6. Bozley

Bozley Well-Known Member

7. See Change

Last edited: 4th Feb, 2016
    legallyblonde likes this.
  8. See Change

Interesting article summarising the positives about Tassie at the moment .

As well as buying in Brisbane we bought a couple of additional properties on the north side of Tassie at the end of last year to join the property we bought back in Hobart prior to the last boom . Good returns , well located properties . Our intent is to keep them long term as income.

Would be ironical if Tassie out performs Brisbane in the next year .

Cliff

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Go on then - I'm interested in Tassie. If only the young 'uns 'd stop moving out. But apparently the cool oldies are moving in?

10. legallyblonde

To be fair... There are some amazing young people that want to stay... Job prospects are reasonably thin in quite a few industries.

11. legallyblonde

Nope.. Haven't done research but people generally leave to study and never go back.

12. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hey Dave long time no see :) hope all is well!
    So what's been the CG on your place in the time you've held? Worthwhile?

13. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

That was on the QT @See Change . Great they're returning well. Are they in the agricultural regions or in towns/cities?

If Browns Brothers brings/employs workers along with the vineyards they're purchasing, you never know how Tassie performs!

No can't hype Tassie yet, or you could but the CF+ve opps would slip away.... ;)

WattleIdo likes this.
  14. See Change

Towns . Did quite a bit of research and ended up looking at Launceston , Devonport and Ulverston . Bernie didn't seem to have as much going for it . There are some smaller towns on the north coast such as Penguin and Turners Beach which are also worthwhile checking out .

Our interest in the north coast of Tassie was triggered by one of my sisters best friends retiring there and realising that was a growing trend . Obviously it's not an area that attracts the young hipsters but it have a lot going for it . Climate is quite mild . Not as cold in winter and not as hot in summer . Agriculture , tourism , education are strong down there .

Cash flow locked in .:cool: Anyone getting in now will still be ok .

Capital growth is nice , but on a practical basis it won't change our position .

Brown Brothers !! Hadn't heard that . Never had a brown brothers wine I haven't liked . For me they're the most consistent winery in australia . Where about's have they bought ?

Probably have to go down and inspect those properties on a regular basis . At least every 6 months :D

There are some stunning properties down there . We never looked at this one because it wasn't what we wanted , but I was tempted to see it just to check it out . It's been for sale for a while . Maybe someone should low ball them .

I don't think most people know that Melbourne was settled by an expedition from Launceston …….

Cliff

15. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

Really? I've only been in Tassie 3 years but quite a few of the people I've met are born and bred Tasmanians who've left but they came back once kids start entering the picture. Purely anecdotal though as obviously the ones who left permanently are not here to tell their story! Still, it was encouraging to see birds returning to the nest ;)

16. Bozley

Bozley Well-Known Member

Cliff[/QUOTE]
    Check this one out in Hobart

17 Glebe Street Glebe Tas 7000 - House for Sale #121125274 - realestate.com.au

17. See Change

18. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque ,
    Hope all is well with you too :)
    CG hasn't been all that great over the years...
    However there has been some movement in the last 6 to 12 months. The place I bought around 10 months ago has probably increased around 5 to 8%... same with the others.
    I can see Launceston is definitely at the start of a new cycle.
    My prediction is 5 years (starting mid 2015) around 50% growth or more... fingers crossed !
    David

19. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

The problem I have with stats is that they are like an ice berg, there is only 10% of the story on the surface.
    Hobart jump 4.7% in January???
    So what is the data size i.e. how many sales were there in January, how does the number of sales in January compare with the long term averages. Is the data set comparable?
    Maybe there were only 2 sales but they happened to be Multi Million $ properties in Battery Point.
    Lets say in February there are still only 2 sales but they happen to be 1 bed units in Newtown <$200k.
    Are the stats statistically reliable? Who knows, I wouldn't think so based on numbers published only as a %.

Musicbemyfriend likes this.
  20. See Change

That's always the issue with stats and any long term members are aware of that .

Anyway , gives those of us who hold in tassie a month of happiness . Next month , we'll be looking for explanations and justifications if it goes down 5.2 % .....

:cool:

Cliff

Musicbemyfriend and radson like this.