VIC Tarneit.. is it as bad as it looks?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MondeoMan, 5th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MondeoMan

MondeoMan Well-Known Member

Went back to tarneit for first time in two years today. Was not impressed with that i saw.

Went to see this house open..

25 Conondale St Tarneit Vic 3029 25 Conondale St Tarneit Vic 3029 - House for Sale #124129030 - realestate.com.au

As I drove up i noticed two smashed up cars in street. Dumped rubbish on vacent blocks and front gardens that were a sea of weeds.

Stepped inside and the house was a disgusting mess. Only 4 years old apparently and had been trashed. The worst estate agent i have a encountered a young chinese girl met us didnt take our names gave us no information and tried to excuse the condition of the property. Its actually put my wife off property investing.

Drove around the block after saw more and more if same dumped rubbish overgrown weeds... my god...

Had been thinking about investing after reading some positive things on here. Unless this is just a bad pocket??? It doesnt seem a wise idea

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Quite apart from the condition, it isn't positioned well on the block, the bedroom, toilet and bathroom will get the northern light - not the living area.

3. +men

+men Well-Known Member

An incompetent selling agent is the best friend of experienced investor. Not sure how bad the street appeal is at the moment, but the proximity to train station and new infrastructure is unbeatable. I guess the atmosphere will change once all the surrounding blocks are built and develop a community

Stoffo, larrylarry and ashish1137 like this.
  4. MondeoMan

I just worry at the moment the quality of tenants u can get their might cause you a lot of trouble. Maybe im too quick to judge but it looked rough and those new houses already looked aged

5. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Poor presentation and an incompetent agent sounds like opportunity to me.

Does the cost vs return stack up?

Seems very well located.

6. MondeoMan

Im worried tho the area is going to become run down and undesirable by the time it comes to sell.

7. Do Androids Dream

Do Androids Dream Well-Known Member

Don't be too quick to dismiss - what are the numbers looking like for you?

Tarneit will do very well, and already is... a good property manager can help manage risks, like the above.

8. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

You're not living in it and you're not living in the area. You're looking at a 4 bed house, walking distance to a train station in Melbourne for around $500k. It wouldn't be that cheap if the suburb was nice.

I wouldn't let it turn you off. Go by the numbers and future prospects, not by your emotional appeal to the place.

Stoffo and Do Androids Dream like this.
  9. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Seems like this is your first investment. You need to broaden your thinking mate.
    The sort of selling that has happened in tarneit, and the sort of demographics that have purchased there, i do not agree the condition will stay to be the same.

Moreover, it is so near to the station. You wont get anything less than 430k-450k.

What was the sell price?

Regards

10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I looked at quite a few places out Mel West, as others say, you can hardly expect same type of tenants as you would get in a place 3x the price.

I like that type of selling agent.

Looks good spot for getting the train.

11. MondeoMan

Yeah would be first investment so obviously some work to do concentrating on just the numbers.

Found a local who confirmed that particular area is bad. Called the ECOVille estate. Other parts of tarneit better so need to do a few more visits.

12. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

House hunting a la Property Chat....

Grass in neighbour's yard 15 foot high....Check!

Burnt out cars in the street....Check!

House a disgusting mess?.....Check!

New realestate agent given the property no one else wants to touch?......Check!

It's PERFECT!!!! I LURVE IT!!!

:)

craigc, ej89, Stoffo and 1 other person like this.
  13. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

Look up plans for the Indian-based Tarneit Junction in that exact area.

Look at recent population growth numbers with regards to migration from India.

Very large numbers flocking to Tarneit.

So that property could have high tenant demand.

14. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

It's probably the first time the agent walked in the house considering she's from Malvern:)

15. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

Surprised its still available. Maybe try lowballing them and see how you go. Looks good!

16. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

I think Tarneit will do well over the long term. Wages are actually higher than average in the area and it attracts young families - sounds like the being of gentrification to me. I wouldn't dismiss it. Now is probably the best time to jump in.

17. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I would look at somewhere like Sunbury before Tarneit personally

MikeyBallarat and Gypsyblood like this.
  18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

...Back to car....stolen? ....Check!....uh.... :D

The Y-man

teetotal likes this.
  19. The Y-man

I'm going to go against all the others above :)
    Don't do it - sometimes the gut feel is the correct one.

The Y-man

Gypsyblood and Cimbom like this.
  20. The Y-man

@MondeoMan

Just to explain my post bit further - my IP strategy is quite different to many of the others here - I am ...shall we say "extremely unadventurous" when it comes to property. So the question "would I live there - now - today" is foremost on my mind. This of course assumes the target tenant is one that thinks like me (I hope I am "normal" enough). I am the sort that would need to "walk the streets" (and be confident I would not be assaulted, knifed, shot, kidnapped etc) before I consider a property.

Does this restricts my shopping - definitely! For example I don't buy interstate (unless I have "been there, walked that") or across town for that matter. Have I missed out on huge CG in places - definitely!

But for all that - have I done poorly out of resi property? I think we have done ok. It's made for pretty "safe", boring, predictable investing.

The Y-man

p.s. I would for example likely change my view of the place in this thread if someone who lived in Tarneit came on and answered your question directly - for example "yes, the wrecks on XYZ st are from 2 years ago and they have been left there as an example of modern art, the street the house is on is the one street you should avoid in all of the suburb, stay on this side of the white line etc.

The Y-man

Gypsyblood likes this.