Takata airbag recalls

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by paulF, 4th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. YourPD

YourPD Member

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm no expert but it may well be that Takata inflation devices aren't used in side/curtain airbags. It is known that in a single car there are airbags from different manufacturers - takata had 20% or so of the market and probably didn't provide the inflation devices for all airbags in a car. So they are only recalling the airbags which did have the Takata inflation devices.

From a risk point of view the driver one is the most critical as it expands directly at the driver, the front passenger one expands upwards first then out, the curtain ones are similar. For these reasons there are pending/future recalls of affected front passenger bags - I believe there is a Nissan recall - let me grab the info Future Takata airbag recalls

So far I haven't heard of any curtain air bags being recalled. There was a Santa Fe recall for curtain airbags but it wasn't Takata related.

The Y-man likes this.
  3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

OK tx. Breathe in breathe out....

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

TBH I would actually feel much safer on the road with a full roll cage, fibre reinforced seat, six point harness and a full face helmet..... but apparently it's illegal to do so (unless you are in a rally transport stage).

The Y-man

gman65 likes this.
  5. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Not a very encouraging start to the matter with car being delivered to the wrong dealership lol

Car is definitely affected and Dealership will provide a hire car until BMW gets in touch and take from there. Apparently parts are 18 months away so will be interesting to hear from BMW next week.

Westminster and The Y-man like this.
  6. The Y-man

So did they give you a Kia Rio as the replacement hire car? :D:D:D:D

The Y-man

paulF likes this.
  7. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Lol it better be a comfy car with unlimited kms. I was planning on driving from Melbourne to Sydney in 2 weeks time!

8. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

The airbag part will not be available until at least 2021 and the two options were either to store the car until then or sell it to BMW.
    So just agreed to sell the car to BMW for 7000$ which is fair money for the car. They initially offered 5700$ and i said no to that. My reasoning was that i wanted to buy a similar car and 5700$ will leave me way to short if i buy say a newer BMW e46 or an E90 for example.

Still feeling very cut about selling a great little car that gave me no trouble for over half a decade of ownership and that was great fun to drive and was still in great condition.

What's really disappointing is that all the recalled cars will be crushed to get a sign off from the ACCC :(

Car below on the day she was towed to dealership
    IMG_20191206_065528.png

The Y-man likes this.
  9. Westminster

Damn she's a neat little model. Sounds like you negotiated a pretty fair price though. What are you thinking of getting?

paulF likes this.
  10. Westminster

I wonder if some people will chose to store and get it fixed in 2021 as an investment decision. By the 2020 there will be a miniscule amount of these cars available which may help them increase in value

11. The Y-man

A thought crossed my mind as I read this to look to see if there were any affected cars on auction, buy it cheap, and then take it to BMW on a flatbed and negotiate a higher buy back price!! :D

The Y-man

12. Westminster

lol! I believe it's currently illegal to sell them from a sales yard etc so you'd have to try and find a gumtree/backyard special.

13. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thought about that but I doubt they'll actually go through the design and manufacturing process of a new airbag for such old cars. Probably cheaper to buy them all which seems like what they are doing.
    I will be in contact with BMW to see if they would sell it back to me as a non road car or something like a track car that I can modify in the future.

Not sure about what to buy next but probably an E90 or even better a S1000RR lol

14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Lovely car there @paulF but can you tell me what is that green stuff which is around it?

15. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Apologies, didn't get what you mean by green stuff around it!

16. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

No need for apologies. Just me being nutty as usual. The green grass. Haven't seen much of that around here lately.

paulF likes this.
  17. Westminster

Few less doors on the S1000RR :p

paulF likes this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Nice car but not much power.

As a commodore driver I can't see what the fuss is all about. Those Jakarta airbags are the last thing on mind. I'm first worried about the noisy worn out brakes on buckled rotors, bald tyres, dodgy steering rack and worn out bushes, rocking driver seat, matted seat belts, dicky fuel pump, faulty camshaft and crankshaft sensors, leaking fuel injector rail etc etc Great cars though.

paulF likes this.
  19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you just pull the fuse on the airbag so it's rendered useless. There's probably a good pair of air bags on that neighbour who's had a big of work. ;)

datto likes this.
  20. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yeah but it's been rear ended too many times. Air bags are inoperable.