Health & Family Symptoms of Getting Older

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 19th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

For years I've said I want to live to 160 :p
    (I have agreed to catch up with @Beano in 2116 to chat commercial investment)

Largely to be around long enough to prove the neigh sayers wrong :D

Tech and medicine are advancing so fast now that it will be the people with the funds to be early adopters (think solar 66c fit) that stand to benefit ;)

What's that, $150,000 for a tablet that will reset my physiology and have my age HALF, sure here's $300K for the two of us :cool:

Yes researchers claim that such a pill is only a matter of time :)
    I'm living for today, and investing so we can easily afford "upgrades" :rolleyes:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Terry_w would have a field day with new and innovative structures which we'd have to renew as we'd be outliving their lifetimes.

3. random

random Well-Known Member

Haaa , whata classic , bit of an upgrade eh. Well we've never needed researchers to tell us that's gonna happen one day no brainer and it won't be that far off either , maybe. But eh they're trying to kill off covid right now and that's putting up a fight so l won't hold my breath right now, not to mention cancer and 50 other things.
    But yep there'll be a pill , 30yr olds now will be around to buy that pill one day maybe even 50 yr olds. And yep l'd agree too that babies now will live it all, their 80 will be a new 40.

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Teeth, another sign of getting old :confused:

Between fillings or removal :(

Can't wait for the day that (like @random say's) that "there's a pill for that" (or likely an injection into the gum) and you just grow a new tooth :D
    Just like when you lost your baby teeth ;)

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Guy across the road from us lives by himself, drives a car, mows his lawn, goes for a long walk every day, has full mental capabilities. He's 101, and looking good.

Perp, Joynz, spoon and 7 others like this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Sure, that's the people in nursing homes. They are there frequently because they can't look after themselves. I've met a lot of people in their late 80s and early 90s who are in wonderful condition, and enjoying life. They're fit and well enough to stay at home, with the help of home visits for some tasks.

I heard a wonderful TED talk a few days ago from an Auschwitz survivor who at 99 is still incredibly "with it" and still giving talks (Eddie Jaku).

Joynz and Lizzie like this.
  7. random

random Well-Known Member

Don't you just love those people , just amazing.
    He probably wakes up every morning and thinks hmm, looks like l'm still here eh, what will l do today then. :D:eek:

8. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Which brands of NMN and Resveratrol are you using? I want to buy the same

9. random

random Well-Known Member

For sure , take my hat off to them too, fantastic l hope they're having some fun.
    The longer people stay home have purpose and things to do the better, nursing homes are sadly just waiting rooms . But if they can stay home and keep moving that's the go.
    Once up in Byron we rented and old farm house and the old farmer use to bring over veggies and stuff and have little chats.
    He still worked must've been around a 2 ac veggie patch , by hand , no machines at all , dug the lot. He had a stall at the market.l did a painting of him up on the hill out there digging he's veggie plot. Laughed one day and said it use to be 10ac but l thought l'd better trim it down a little.
    He also still had cows and livestock and 200ac left that he still worked. He was out every day on his bike or tractor , fencing checking stock just doing his work.
    One day he said yeah , not doing too bad for a young fella of 87 , nearly fell over. We thought he was 70 or so. He was always picking leafs and sticks or grass off the ground , anything , and l said to him one day yo bend down grabbing that stuff like a 20yr old he says yep , it's my back work out.
    One day he asked me to help him with a gate post.
    This thing was 7ft long and 1 ft round, l'm thinking crikey , we might need the tractor for this. You now he grabbed it a sort of bear hug and with my help we dragged it into the hole. Couldn't believe it, only a little guy too.

Last edited: 23rd Sep, 2020
    Nodrog, Lizzie and The Y-man like this.
  10. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Toniq from Amazon. Seem OK, have bought a couple of times, 300mg caps. I just take one of each in the morning.

Momentum likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

:D - well that sucks

I'm an avid red wine drinker over winter - love a good Merlot - but felt like a whisky the other night - next morning hips felt slightly "not so bad" ... so the last few nights I've been enjoying a touch of champagne instead of red and the hips are loving it.

Darn!

gman65, Nodrog and Scott No Mates like this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

maybe a coincidence or some other explanation but not sure if this is due to age
    but over the years my alcohol tolerance has dropped, my moderate hayfever has gone, my tolerance to caffeine has dropped too

I used to drink coffee and coke before bed and be fine, I had a coffee had 7pm last night and was tossing and turning till 3am. I used to have 4-5 drinks before I started feeling it, now I feel it at 1 drink

Perp likes this.
  13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

One of the major symptoms of getting older is posting threads about the symptoms of getting older.

inertia, Cousinit, gman65 and 4 others like this.
  14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

So basically having too much spare time to do much of nothing :rolleyes:

Or retiring to a coastal area in a warmer climate so the bones don't ache as much o_O
    (tagging @Simon Hampel :p)

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Another symptom is reading such threads.

Guilty as charged. Well, not yet, but it's happening.

Lizzie likes this.
  16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Another symptom ... I was going to comment but forgot what this thread was about:confused:.

Stoffo, Angel, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Had physio for the first time today ... on the muscles setting off the sciatica nerve and subsequent calf cramp.

OMG.half hour of Intense pressure points and knot breaking. Marvellous ... painful as all hell ... but bloody marvelous

Angel likes this.
  18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Same! But I'm basically tea-total these days, as I no longer like the taste of most alcohol, so when I DO drink something, it goes straight to my head.

TMNT likes this.
  19. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Dentist at last visit 'I would like to build up your lower front teeth to improve your bite'.
    My answer 'the ROI is not worth it' - I laughed at the look on her face when she realised what I meant. :D

Lizzie, Scott No Mates and Gockie like this.
  20. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I got gout in my big toe for the first time in my life. Doc says it's from being middle aged and drinking too much alcohol :(