NSW Sydney WestConnex

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by paulF, 21st Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Great article about WestConnex and Sydney's West traffic woe's ... Well not just the West i guess.

I don't think iIve ever witnessed any infrastructure mismanagement of such magnitude but it's not unexpected because in OZ developer profits ALWAYS come ahead over benefit for communities.

The road that ate Sydney
    The road that ate Sydney | Red Flag

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A very well considered, rounded article. I can't commence to understand why banks would reign in lending to potential homeowners when they can obviously afford to pay an extra $8k/annum on toll roads but not give the same people the borrowing power that the same money would allow for them to buy closer to the city.

Oh! are we talking about the same commuters who would rather drive to work from their far flung suburban digs to their "I'm not adequately serviced by a door to door public transport service/wouldn't be caught dead on a bus/train/bike"?

In the next breath after the author has pushed the line of the effects of these toll roads, they're disparaging the 'privatisation of public transport'. The government will still control the ticket price but not be responsible for the operation or maintenance.

paulF likes this.
  3. doublebrick

doublebrick Well-Known Member

Just revisiting this Westconnex topic - I am actually a bit surprised there's not more about this discussed on propertychat. Also surprised how decisive was the 2019 NSW election win for Gladys despite the anger over Westconnex, demolishing the SCG and the Powerhouse museum relocation, I remember those issues got pretty heated back then.

I was wondering if there are any studies done about the properties that suffered cracking near the Westconnex tunneling. I'm looking at a place in the Sutherland shire that is about 40 metres from the rim of the F6 extension corridor - if the project goes ahead and a tunnel is drilled under the corridor, how far will the tunneling work affect properties nearby?

4. Scott No Mates

The final route won't be known until thousands of core samples are taken and analysed. It may be under the property or 200m away.

TFNSW will notify the owners affected (if you are above, there's no compensation payable).

Property price may have a small affectation but there is generally no noticible noise or vibration once construction is complete & the tunnel is in operation.

doublebrick likes this.
  5. djyella

djyella Well-Known Member

Just came here to say that whilst it wasn't the only factor, it was one of the major factors for why I left the Inner West and Sydney to return to Brisbane 9 months ago.

6. doublebrick

doublebrick Well-Known Member

Great timing if you bought back into Brisbane, talk about silver linings!

David_SYD likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

8. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I have to say though, WestConnex is the necessary evil to deal with traffic congestion issues in Sydney. Without it Sydney will be continue to choke on traffic. It is amazing that for a metropolis with the population of Sydney, WestConnex is only been built now. The government (both sides) should have built them 40 years ago. We are just catching up.

Dont forget that M6 is still to be built even though the corridor has been reserved for decades!

ff3 and Stoffo like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

The wholesale destruction of the Innerwest got tied up in the 70's green ban movement.

The above ground road corridors were abandoned over 40 years ago (around or before Nifty Nev's time as Premier). The corridors had been reserved well before the 1950's, the roads were slated to be built along the waterfront with an extension from the Gladesville/Figtree/Tarban Creek bridges/Burns Bay Rd linking to the lower North Shore through the Lane Cove National Park (around Delhi Rd).

Sometimes, the right decisions are made.