Sydney -west granny flat builders

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Nands, 23rd Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nands

Nands Member

Hello All
    I'm looking for recommendations for reliable granny flat builders in the western suburbs (around Blacktown).Can you'll please share some insights?

2. TroySeven

TroySeven Well-Known Member

Granny Flat Experts.

Nands likes this.
  3. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Granny flat experts as well. Building two with them. George is very easy to speak to. No hard sales.

Observer and Nands like this.
  4. Nands

Nands Member

How much did it roughly cost?What was the total turnaround time?We are looking at building a 2 bedder granny.Not sure whether to go for brick,cladding or corrugated siding.Any thoughts?We are doing this at our investment prop in Blacktown for a better yield and long term capital growth.
    TIA

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I used Granny Flats Australia.
    I've found Cid and his team to be very professional.

6. TroySeven

He fixed pricing is much cheaper than others I found. I can't comment on the build price of mine as I've upgraded to the hill.
    His pricing, communication, etiquette and ability to think outside the box sold me,

Last edited: 24th Feb, 2017
  7. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

It cost me roughly 115K for a 60sqm, brick veneer 2 bedder with
    - Caesarstone benchtop
    - Cooktop, oven and rangehood
    - 1 AC
    - 2.4 ceiling height
    - 2 sqm porch
    - separate water and electric meters

Observer, Shark and Peter P like this.
  8. Brazen

Brazen Member

On your cladding question, we have an article on our website which may help you decide (pros and cons).

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Jul, 2017
  9. Kitty Katty

Kitty Katty Member

Im also looking for a granny flat builder in the Smithfield Nsw area. There are so many out there it's hard to choose. My other half has trust issues with dodgy builders (well some are dodgy..not all I know). Any good granny flat builders out there?. Thanks in advance.

10. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

Hi @Mumbai. Do you know if they can do a custom design as those on their web site are unlikely to fit my block (tried calling them but had to leave a message; waiting for the call back).

Also, is the above construction a recent one? The price looks attractive for a brick veneer 2 bedder. The quote I got from the other builder for something like that is about $130-135k.

11. TroySeven

Can confirm, Granny Flat Experts have their own Architects and Draftsman to make a completely custom design to suit your own land and council requirements.

Just received designs for one of my builds, and love how versatile and creative they make them

Observer likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

For complete build incl site, plumbing and all approvals etc thats fair. Take care that many say $100K then everything (!!) is an add on. ie pitched roof, plumbing, electrical connection, council fees, fencing, blinds, door locks etc. I found some quote all up and seem more expensive but IMO its a fairer price as its all inclusive. One I walked though had about 50 add ons and almost 40 of them were not optional. ie brick, insulation to roof and internals walls, AC, water heater, TV point, power points !!!, painting, etc etc...

Example Our Instant Build Pricing Calculator

The Grant goes to $130K with inclusions (from $95K turnkey)

Observer likes this.
  13. Brazen

Brazen Member

Hi Paul,

You've referred to one of my granny flats, saying there are hidden costs, so I'd like to address your post if that's ok.

The Grant costs $102,000 for an approved 2-bedroom horizontal clad granny flat on reinforced concrete slab (not the cheaper waffle pod), pitched roof, all plumbing, electrical,tv points, telephone, power points, lights, 3 coats of paint, kitchen and bathroom plus laundry and all site costs. So it's turn-key, ready to move in.

If you want to add:
    - brick-veneer
    - higher wall height 2.4m up to 2.7m
    - terracotta tiles instead of concrete
    - cedar timber windows instead of aluminium
    - a bidet toilet instead of a standard one
    - an en-suite
    - built-ins
    - from laminated flooring to tiled flooring (bathroom is tiled)
    - from electric cooktop/oven to gas oven and cooker
    - upgrade from gas hot water to heat pump
    - air/con
    - stone kitchen benchtops instead of laminated benchtops
    - a skylight
    - landscaping and fencing

Then, yes, you'll pay for it. But the price does indeed include EVERYTHING to move in, including site costs. Brick is $8k, so the price would be $110k, NOT $130k.

I agree that many quotes come in at that $130k for brick though, so shop around.

Check out my Projects page you can see the difference in budgets and expectations from the myriad of clients. Some people do want a lot of luxury extras and some people simply don't.

I dunno. I'm told that I have the best prices out there and I make it a policy that there are no hidden costs. My reputation depends on it.

I agree that many companies have sneaky hidden feed and tactics, of course, but my business was built around challenging exactly that. Incidentally many of my competitors don't like me very much!

Anyway, I hope I've cleared the air on the question of hidden costs.

Ta mate.

Brazen.

Last edited: 12th Sep, 2017
  14. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Is this price including the approval cost price?

15. Brazen

Brazen Member

Yes it includes the approvals and your occupation certificate.

16. jc007

jc007 Member

I recently built a granny flat with Smart Choice Granny Flat, this was my first granny flat and I am so impressed with their service, they held me hand from beginning to the end, each step was well explained, the design was fantastic, all costs were explained before the construction, the whole process was well organised! Give them a try or at least get them to give you a quote, they are really good

17. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Do Granny Flat builders comitt you to construction?

I have spoken to. A. Few. They want to sign the whole contract based on initial tender. So design approval and construction.

That is before we attain approval.
    I'm not sure how I can Agree to construction if the final design is not done.

I can. See This being a variation nightmare.

18. KeithL

KeithL New Member

I built a 2BDR brick GF with 5 Star Granny Flats and it was all taken care of from A to Z. Completed the build within 3 months as well. When there were minor issues, it was taken care of with no mucking around. Would highly recommend to have a chat with them and their price was on par with others in the area.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.