NSW Sydney Water Canal behind the Lot

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Blee, 3rd Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blee

Blee New Member

Hi all,

First time poster here and wanted to get some advice.
    There is a property that I am are interested in attending the auction in Yagoona, NSW.
    During the inspection this morning, I have found there is a Sydney Water canal (similar to below) directly behind the lot. Should this ring any alarm bells?
    Also, any thoughts on Yagoona as a first home buyer?

Thank you all.

Attached Files:

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I used to swim in those canals as a kid. After a big rain the water dept release water from upstream and that canal becomes a raging current. Deadly stuff.

Yagoona is an expensive area IMO and seems to have a strong ethnic flavour to it. I noticed some real big blocks around there and also the neighbouring suburb of B ass Hill.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

A simple way would be contact several insurance companies and see ''IF" you can obtain insurance..
    Just looking at the way that's setup and the fall in the land I would say keep looking ..imho..

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Never observed that but I'm not out there cutting the gr ass. :p

@Blee The things to check will include the council's flood map, any particular drainage easement affecting the land and as @willair notes the containment or spill area adjoining the watercourse.

It may pay to check the maps as to whether the property is at the mouth or end of the creek.

datto likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

By big I mean quarter acre blocks. Just looking at the map now, there's a huge piece of land on......hang on that's a reserve.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  6. masterjoey1991

masterjoey1991 Member

So what is the general consensus? alarm bells or ok? lots of properties in yagoona/bankstown seems to be near this stuff?

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I've always found that the older infrastructure was designed and built far better than today's :eek:

In the OP pic there is slight slope to the land, a clear bank to the canal and what looks like a run off to the upper rhs also ;)

You are far more likely to have a pipe in your own home fail or even a suburban street main fail than the canal overflow :p

This pic is taken from my balcony, up hill :confused:
    20210210_072154.jpg
    On a summer afternoon you can hear that 5ft dia pipe humming from the sheer volume of water being pumped thru it.
    It has been there for over 50 years and there are various of these around Sydney, it leaks occasionally but I have never heard of one letting go.

The only thing that would concern me about the OP is the amount/width of that reserve area, it could be earmarked for a future road bypass :eek:

Anthony416 likes this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Can you tap into it when it's going full bore?

9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I have no idea that there is a "test point" ;)
    Or that a neighbor was out there every second summer day :rolleyes:
    It might have a fitting that conveniently suits a Pope/Gardenia fitting that connects to 3 soaker hoses :cool:
    The grass doesn't get that green without regular Shirly's and some "maintenance" :D