NSW Sydney Property Hype 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Gockie, 7th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

You're no fun. I would advise them to promptly purchase 2x 2 bed units in Zetland.

John_S likes this.
  2. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Well, I told a bit of a lie, usually say....that is not a good idea (read, I am saying your stupid if you proceed), but, as usual, they go ahead anyways......

How many over priced units and OTP my many relos and friends and friends of friends bought is scary.......they are 100% now, loosing money,,......and for some of them, yet again !!!!!!! some do it each cycle !

4. dabbler

If it is your mother, that is different, you really need to learn a lot, as this is critical, if you have to ask here, best advice would be really take your time......a long time, read a lot, look at what is happening.

5. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Oh, dabbler pal.... :p

6. Bluechips

Bluechips Well-Known Member

Apartments have not gone through the blood bath yet...But will later this year and next year. So many overseas money paid as deposit too..Really wonder how the developers will get their money back if large number of people default on settlement...Not promising...

Anyone has seen similar things happened last cycle?

7. dabbler

You should become a politician, or a reporter for fake news....lol

8. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about the same question, things that came to mind:

- no easy way to get to the train line for folks working in the city
    - traffic on duffy ave and sefton rd sucks, to say the least
    - too close to the bush for some people
    - while driving out to town, need to go past quite a few industrial businesses (auto shops?) that don't look particularly nice. Personally i'm ok with this, but got friends saying these businesses are at odds with the quiet residential blocks nearby.
    - and what's that huge block of vacant land to the east of quarter session rd? i drove past it one day and it looked rather mysterious to me, not in a good way (think i saw some barbed wire and signs to not enter or enter at your own risk etc.)
    - prices are not cheap
    - lack of schools

Last edited: 14th May, 2018
    L3ha7 likes this.
  9. JB40

JB40 Well-Known Member

I don't live in the area so may be wrong (and it may have changed) but I was told Westleigh had a lot of housing commission compared to its surrounds. Apologies if this is incorrect.

10. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

If we step back from North West or lower north shore. Is it still a good time to buy big acerage properties in Leppington etc. ?

Edit:I am seeing more and more adds-is it bcoz of new airport exusting owners wants to move out and hoping to target developers etc...

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Sydney property price changes by deciles. Interesting... my IPs are in deciles 1 and 2/3, PPOR in decile 10. Looks like the lower end is holding up better. That's what people on a limited budget will buy...

Screenshot_20180616-210037.jpg Screenshot_20180616-210015.jpg

12. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Maybe describe the return they might get? 1.5 including stamp might get you less than 40k net. Etf / lic would conservatively give 60+k.

Parkzilla likes this.
  13. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

I knew something wasn't quite right with Westleigh, and here is a possible explanation:

Toxic Secrets: Where the sites with PFAS contamination are near you

14. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

15. Runna Kedman

Runna Kedman Active Member

16. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

I told my wife as we are looking around Carlingford/WPH and one of her friends relative bought there and she surfaced the idea and I was also keen on until I asked the question few weeks ago and definately off the list.

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

A side observation: the rental market in Sydney is pretty weak atm. Great time to be a renter.

I reckon it will stay this way (or get worse) for at least the next 12 months. This is the storm investors will need to weather before vacancy rates start dropping again. That and the IO cliff.

Just my thoughts.

18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Better buckle down, the hurricane is coming to Sydney:

1. I/O to P/I conversions....this will push up repayments up to 50%. If people did not plan with 10-15 years I/O they may get into trouble.
    2. Lots investors cannot refinance.
    3. Rental vacancies are increasing dramatically in Sydney and rents are dropping
    4. Under new APRA enforced serviceability rules...most people will find they have reduced amounts they can borrow
    5. Number of buyers have dropped days on market has increased significantly. Buyers are now taking their time in buying.

If you are over exposed in Sydney.....and have not got out by now.......it is going to get interesting......

Cia and L3ha7 like this.
  19. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Why is that? I remember couple of years ago anybody and everybody could refinance and on better rates. I am asking because majority of the properties will have equity built in that can be used.

I am renting now so may be we will wait for next winter unless find a bargain :)

20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Because a lot with a few properties cannot service .....based on new regulations set out by APRA.

L3ha7 likes this.