NSW Sydney Metro Opening

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by wombat777, 4th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Incredible stats!

45E98BCF-A02E-4AF1-BEAB-5983796E6489.jpeg

standtall likes this.
  2. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

Doesn't bode well imo, but we'll see.

I'd say they still have a decent list of outstanding defects that needs to be worked through.

Get it right before opening it in my opinion.

Sick of projects being opened early for people to get bonus's, photo opportunities, etc..sets a bad culture and precedent.

3. wombat777

Something was definitely wrong with their test planning and execution.

I saw from news footage that some of the trains were showing the correct information on the LED displays.

I think it will surely be a busy night at the operations centre and stabling facility.

4. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I was on the train where it was delayed due to the the glitch of the train lining up with door at Macquarie Park, and took me more than 1 hour from Cherrybrook to Chatswood. But coming back from Chatswood to Cherrybrook was quite good, even with the huge crowds at Chatswood, the queue moved quite quickly.

So yes there are teething problems but for me it was not unexpected. For such a huge project (largest Public Transport project in Australia), there is no way that there are no defects even with many testing done so far. As long as it is managed and resolved quickly that minimise the impact.

The defect on information shown on displayed can be fixed relatively easily. Also I saw a broken screen, that can be fixed by replacing it under warranty. Stuff like this happens.

Challenge would be first week and month when it tries to handle peak hour traffic and crowd management at Chatswood and possibly Epping.

I also wished that there are more car parks at Cherrybrook but it is what it is for now.

To me, I am very happy with this line, even if I have to stand all the way to city. It is far better than having nothing after promising for like 3 decades. I cannot wait for 2024 when the train would go all the way to city without change over at Chatswood.

Esh likes this.
  5. sandrajb

sandrajb New Member

Would anyone consider buying property in Stanhope Gardens (Newbury estate -closest to the Kellyville train station)? I believe a developer was looking at one stage at purchasing properties in the Newbury Estate but people could not agree on selling etc.
    it is not currently zoned for apartments as I understand it

6. wombat777

I’m not sure of current status. Details of the original proposal and the consultation process for the Kellyville precinct are here:

Kellyville

7. sandrajb

sandrajb New Member

”further studies” yes this is because people in Newbury argued it would be horrendous to drive out of the estate. Developer only wanted to purchase a portion of the estate 3/4 of the estate and the rest would have remained as is. Obviously these owners were opposed due to the congestion and traffic etc. can’t remember how many buildings and units they wanted to build but it was obscene. I know someone who lived in the estate at the time this was all happening.
    • Proposed changes to Newbury Estate in Stanhope Gardens will not progress due to concerns about traffic and parking. Further studies will be carried out in this area.

8. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

From what I know, it is already zoned R4. But each block is quite small so the individual owner can't do anything on it

9. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

I did a quick drive by of Cherrybrook Station today at @ 3PM... plenty of people around . There's a lot of space around the station which could theoretically accommodate more parking, but traffic management would get ugly pretty fast...

I only drove through so didnt see inside. Are there any amenities/shops inside the station? If not - I would suggest a coffee van could do a roaring trade there...

10. wombat777

My peak hour journey went smoothly.

Announcements and electronic signage in the train now working properly.

Air conditioning far too cold!

David Shih likes this.
  11. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Peak hour starts before 7am? :eek:

How full was the train?

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Needs latent heat to warm things up ie lots of hot, sweaty commuter bodies.

13. wombat777

Yes, 5:50 am not strictly peak hour. But it was tradie peak hour :p

0F1635BF-2024-4D30-BA74-EAA41C830CDC.jpeg

1754A5F8-C69D-4050-AF25-78EB594BD3E4.jpeg

14. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

No not yet but I know that they were planning to do this but outside the station I think. Not sure if it will still go ahead.

Yes there are plenty of space can be used to expand the car park. I think it will get filled up quite soon.

15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I got on at Epping after the main peak this morning (very soon after 9am). Only about 75% of the metro seats taken up! Will see what the situation at Chatswood is like very soon....

16. Gockie

Ok. First thing to **** everybody off. Got off at Chatswood and a city service was allowed to depart when we pulled up. Next train in 8 minutes....

17. Gockie

Ok. My thoughts after 1 ride.
    Definitely I have good services once again for when I need to go to North Sydney. Yay!!
    Maybe not great for peak hour though, I expect the trains will all be pretty full (no seats).

For the city (Town Hall) - From Epping it's generally better to take a country train... Less stops, and generally there are seats available. But if I time it badly, the metro is an option. And... Maybe there will be extra pressures on these country trains too since now more people come from elsewhere to catch a service from Epping.

Ps. I attempted to drive towards Epping station this morning as I'm carrying an Ikea bag of stuff to the city today (I avoid carrying gear while unicycling). I managed to drive a massive 160m up the street before parking the car. What a time saver.

standtall likes this.
  18. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

I travelled between Cherrybrook and Chatswood in the morning and surprisingly more people got on the train from Epping than all other stations combined. May be some overspill from other lines!

19. DeJ

DeJ Well-Known Member

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The planned shops are yet to be opened as handover for the site has only just occurred. This was always the plan
    Sydney Metro Retail | Home and the http://sydneymetroretail.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Information-Memorandum.pdf

No onsite vans are allowed in the public street and plaza areas. No stopping zones.