Sydney, Melbourne APRA in 2017

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by dabbler, 1st Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

So , seeing many here are at the coal face so to speak, it would seem that the way Syd and Mel are going and the amount of investor loans, we may see a re think on regulation ?

There was always going to be some more regs and compliance as everyone adjusts etc, but do we face a complete new intervention and re think and more changes ?

My thoughts had been that there should have been some short term specific location restrictions to prevent a runaway train, and the APRA changes came too late.

Anyone heard anything on changes, or do you think they will hold the current course.

2. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Stay the course.

3. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

The regulations are working just fine and a bit overdone anyway.

Both Sydney and Melbourne have cooled off from the crazy year on year growth and remember interest rates are still low and apart from Sydney, Melbourne and sorrounds we don't have an economy anywhere else at the moment. Every car factory, every workshop and any kind of production is closing down thanks to our open trade policy and offshoring strategy.

4. Brickbybrick

Brickbybrick Well-Known Member

Once the construction stops (and migrants figure out they might have a better future in Canada etc) we won't even have an economy of any note in either Sydney or Melbourne either.

I detest Trump and people like him but the one thing I do agree with him is his plan to reverse the offshoring of jobs.

5. dabbler

Someone was saying on TV they will be looking at doing more, too many investor loans.

6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

The tightening up of the availability of IO terms is a start. Give that some time to play out together with rate rises.

MTR likes this.
  7. dabbler

We have all read and discussed this, but that would all be part of the original regulation was my thinking.

So is not clear to me if they were saying it is going to be a complete new re think, or just the continuation of original plans.

8. CK_Invest

CK_Invest Well-Known Member

after sitting through one of the biggest bull runs in property history (look up prices of HK and especially shenzhen), i guess the next thing on the cards if things keep going this way will be:
    - increase stamp duty for investors (yes i realise this is a state thing vs APRA guideline)
    - LVR limits

9. dabbler

10. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member