Sydney Lockdown Protests 24 July 21

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Terry_w, 24th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Good use of quotes.

Guess what - all the rest of the people on this thread hate them too.
    I'm from VIC, so I hate them x5.

However, the idiots in the protest yesterday almost certainly arranged for 6.0 for us.
    For you in Sydney? It means yours will just continue longer.

Great move!
    Smart thinking!

The Y-man, jakc, skater and 2 others like this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We do have Covid. Did you read anything I said? So who are you tapping on the head to die, and who are you picking to have lifelong health issues.

And strange - I thought they were protesting about wanting jobkeeper and business support, but I saw a whole lot of placards claiming their Nazism and anti-establishment and personal rights to not wear a mask and anti-vaxxers demanding that no one gets vaccinated - even "vote Trump" flags ... that's not protesting for others.

You can practice your religion - religion is personal and faith is within, or it should be - and when is "meeting with friends" a given during a pandemic. The other reasons are so that "others" are not exposed to the selfish few and hence run the risk of death (it's my personal right NOT to be exposed to your virus).

I don't think anyone likes lockdowns - but they don't like dying a horrific death on the end of a ventilator, or losing loved ones, more.

I'd much rather lockdown and not see loved ones/friends for a short period - so that I can have them close for the long run when this is all over. I haven't seen my own family for 18 months - missed my grandmother's funeral - didn't get to see hubby's first grandchild until it was over a year old (and still then ended up being a juggle for a single weekend) ... I don't like lockdowns either but I do the right thing to protect others

Last edited: 26th Jul, 2021
    wylie likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

In Australia, they are astounded at the loss of life that Americans are enduring.

unicorntears, mitsui, jakc and 10 others like this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

If they were legit protestors about lockdowns and jobkeeper - then they would've marched peacefully, WITH MASKS ON and social distanced to make their point.

None of the above took place

Personally, I feel naked if I go out without a mask on

jakc, Angel, Islay and 3 others like this.
  5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I also hate lockdowns. Round 5 for me as well and I'm fairly certain it won't be the last.

I also have an intense dislike of unnecessary deaths. So far I don't know anyone who died from COVID and I'm fairly certain we can thank the lockdowns for that.

6. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Death vs being inconvenienced (for me anyway, I know for many lockdowns are much, much worse, but for me it's really a minor irritation), it's a tough one to call which one is worse, isn't it!? ;)

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I’m the same.

I even wear my mask at home to help the wife control her “urges” :p

Jacque, wylie and Lizzie like this.
  8. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I would like some evidence. Photo pls

kierank likes this.
  9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

LOL. I trust you wear more than a mask when you go out. On second thoughts it could be another method to encourage social distancing. Sorry @Lizzie, couldn't resist.:oops:

Although where I live, Canberra, has no restrictions apart from being required to chick-in using an app and masks are not mandated, when out and about it troubles me. So many are complacent. While some do wear a mask, including myself, many don't. Yet the ACT/NSW border is like a sieve and many goods are transported from Sydney. And what is occurring in Sydney which may cause concern here?

It'll take one case I think and Bam! lockdown. I won't be thrilled about that. The last 18 or so months across all of Australia has been the absolute pits and I've not liked one bit of it. However, despite any minor inconvenience to me, many have had a worse time of it and are at their wits end.

I can cope and adjust but others are not in such a position. Plus I certainly do not want to contract Covid nor do I want to be the cause of others being infected.

kierank likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

NSW press conference yesterday - go to 6:48 in the video:

Deputy CHO Dr Jeremy McAnulty: "All but one are vaccinated, one person has just received one dose of vaccine".

... and then at 33:58 in the video:

Reporter: "... Dr McAnulty would you be able to clarify - I think you might have misspoken before about the number of people in ICU that were or weren't vaccinated - can you just clarify that straight out loud for everyone ... "

Jeremy McAnulty: "Thankyou yes I think I misspoke before - so of the 43 people in intensive care units, 42 have not been vaccinated, 1 person had just one dose of vaccine"

Hetty, devank, kierank and 6 others like this.
  11. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    You're obviously not reading anything I said as you still believe all of these protests are about 'capitalism'. They are about the loss of freedom and unacceptable amounts of government interference in our lives, which is all supposedly justified because of COVID.

The irony is that most people agree they hate lockdowns. Yet we have them because nobody protests or makes any alternative solutions. I have wrote to my local MP and complained about the lockdowns but my one email is not going to make a difference....I might receive a diplomatic response in a month "thanking me for my concerns" but that's it. Most people are apathetic because unless it directly impacts them financially they couldn't give a stuff about others.

As far as religion, I can not practice my religion because church services are banned. Even when church is open we have restrictions, such as avoiding singing together as a congregation, social distancing etc.

Lockdowns do work but do the ends justify the means? Instead of arguing about lockdowns shouldn't we be asking questions like WHY doesn't the government have a designated quarantine facility for returned travelers?

I'd rather not lock down at all. I would rather Australia have some restrictions e.g. QR check-ins, social distancing etc. but not go to the extremes of lockdowns. People that are scared or vulnerable should be encouraged to look after themselves by staying home. Instead we're all stuck at home. To compound matters a lot of the most vulnerable (the elderly) are refusing to get vaccinated because they don't want AstraZeneca. It's their choice but the government uses their vaccination rates as evidence to justify methods like lockdowns.

Sorry for your loss. I've had 2 people pass away since COVID begun. One friend took his own life but I couldn't attend the funeral because it was in November 2020 when Adelaide had COVID restrictions and a brief lockdown. I ended up just watching the funeral over the livestream. Second friend passed away from a terminal illness at the beginning of June 2021. Although, there were restrictions (social distancing, check ins) I was able to attend the service, go to the burial and the wake after.

He was Maori so his family also kept his body in his house for 3 days for us friends and family to visit in the days and hours before his funeral. That cultural tradition wouldn't have been able to occur if he had died recently due to lockdown measures. Best case scenario his family may have had the body in the house for 3 days but none of his friends or family would have been able to attend. Same as a lot of his family from New Zealand wouldn't have been able to fly over and stay etc. due to lockdowns.

Death is a part of life. I understand restrictions are necessary but lockdowns are too extreme. If I lived in Victoria I would have migrated to another state after the 100+ days last year, let alone their 5th lockdown since COVID...

MTR likes this.
  12. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

I’ve never seen such division in my life, regardless your stance and opinion it is irrefutable the division this is causing in our lives.
    One thing is for absolute certain, we will ALL need to work together one way or another to get through this so FFS starting treating one another with respect.

2FAST4U and MTR like this.
  13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Lockdowns are never ideal but it's the only way to stop the spread of the virus - especially delta - amongst the largely unvaccinated population.

Restrictions on their own are simply not enough.

Lizzie and skater like this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Wearing a mask doesn't help Harvey Weinstein control his urges.

Even with a mask, he can't keep body parts where they're supposed to be.
    Screenshot_2021-07-23-08-19-21-55.jpg

Hetty, kierank and TAJ like this.
  15. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Haven't seen too many protested about the government doing better - it is certainly worth protesting about the lack of quarantine facilities, lack of financial support, poor vaccine rollout... didnt see any signs about that at these protests though - they mostly seemed to be antivaxxers, conspiracy theorist, and libertarian types more focused on rights than responsibilities.

The first lockdown wasn't "too" bad thanks to jobkeeper (damn that interventionist government, poking its nose into our business! /sarcasm), and I do think more should be done to facilitate those doing it tough through lockdown now. We definitely should have dedicated quarantine facilities too.

Firefly99, Lizzie, skater and 4 others like this.
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I believe we have them because most people understand we cannot let this virus run rampant in the community.

Anyone who understands exponential growth understands how quickly this would lead to thousands of deaths.

Lock down isn't great. Thousands of deaths is worse.

Lizzie, skater, kierank and 2 others like this.
  17. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Unfortunately here in Australia we find ourselves between a rock and a hard place. With a large % of the population yet to be fully vaccinated, we are left with no alternative but to lock down to try and curb the virus. The ramp up of vaccine availability should have occurred months ago, along with a concise ad campaign to alleviate the confusion over its necessity.

geoffw and Bunbury like this.
  18. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

Has anyone mentioned the fact that at the same time 3,500 people marched in the city against lockdowns, against vaccines, against the validity and seriousness of covid etc... there were 102,233 people that went and got tested for COVID.

Says more than a lot, doesn't it.

freyja, wylie and Lizzie like this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Never have I said it is just about "capitalism" - again some are distorting what I am saying to match their own rhetoric. All I have said is that capitalism has swung to far in favour of the powerful few, at the expense of the rest of society, which is causing a sector of people to feel powerless and disenfranchised (leading to anger and fear).

There are many factors as to why people marched - but loss of freedom is right down the bottom of the list for the reasons they marched (read the banners and placards). Anti-establishment is high on the list - but their sooky lala about supposed "loss of freedom" does not outweigh the freedom of others to remain safe and free from the spreading of a deadly virus

However - if it was purely about the loss of freedom, then they would've marched with masks on, social distanced as much as possible and remained peaceful ... considering the lack of mask wearing and lack of social distancing is what is causing the lockdowns in the first place (oh the irony).

Last edited: 26th Jul, 2021
    skater, kierank, sanj and 1 other person like this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You still haven't answered this one:

"As for 99% recover - not true. When the hospital systems are coping then 99% don't die - so that means 1/100 still die ... when the hospital systems aren't coping due to being overwhelmed that decreases to 96% don't die - so 1/25 still die.

20% of those with covid are hospitalised - 30% of those (or 7%) end up suffering for severe health issues long term (google Long Covid - you might find it interesting) ... so in the best case scenario 1/100 die - and 7/100 end up with long term (potentially lifetime) health issues.

Tell me - out of all the people you know - who are you going to tap for death (1/25) and who are you going to tap for lifelong health problems (1/14)?"

skater and kierank like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.