NSW Sydney entering positive territory

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by standtall, 21st Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Same as December where RE was showing 38%
    So assuming same ****

This **** is better than the **** 1 months ago.

2. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

could get 100% clearance rate if every vendor slash price by 40% next week. Any evidence of prices rebounding? I'm seeing pass ins on properties discounted at 10-20% yoy.

3. Illusivedreams

I'm on the ground in Sydney looking for a friend. January has more action than November/December.

Means nothing but still better than it was.

2 Sydney Eastern suburbs agents I meet almost weekly said same thing.

4. Illusivedreams

What you are seeing is lagging indicators if the market stabilisation was happening now(Syd) you would not see it now.

You know this .

So let's wait and see.

wombat777 likes this.
  5. Illusivedreams

So if the vendors have adjusted to new prices. Would this not be the stabilisation of the market.
    Supply meets demand.

6. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Hmm 61% preliminary reported on domain with a large volume of sales vs early 40s in December 2018.
    RC over with no real short term impact on lending.
    Loans getting faster and easier to obtain.
    General sentiment change (anectodal), surge in buyers trying to buy pre election.
    Prices 10-15% down already.
    Unemployment lowest on record (very hard to have a crash in this climate)

I’ve seen enough, IMO this current 18 month period of falling Sydney house prices is now over. Buyers are now paying a little bit more today than December 2018 (sellers really motivated), the trough in prices.

Will need data to come out in a couple months to confirm the above, but all the lead indicators are telling the same story.

None of this means Sydney is a great place to invest now...it just means house price data will go into green territory once current transaction settlement data feeds through.

7. Chicken or Beef?

Chicken or Beef? Well-Known Member

In areas I look at around western Sydney I haven’t been seeing falls or substantial discounting for a while. Seems there is the odd quick sale where something sells cheap but generally provided a vendor is realistic and not living in the past the properties seem to be selling.

I am actually putting a property to auction in the inner city in a month or so, that will be a good test. Auction results in that area today were pretty good though, everything sold.

MTR likes this.
  8. berten

berten Well-Known Member

Did you guys miss the 60% unreported rate?

That is not typical. 50% unreported last week was already insane and abnormal. This is a drastic increase in unreported. Do you think those unreported auctions are successful or unsuccessful auctions?

All that matters is number of auctions and number of sold at auction. Those are the figures that cannot be manipulated by agents.

For Sydney: 747 auctions scheduled, 217 sold

Last edited: 23rd Feb, 2019
  9. Chicken or Beef?

I don’t need a report. I get my data the old fashioned way talking to people.

10. berten

berten Well-Known Member

Unreported means agent did not give the result of the auction. It's not a report.

Talking to people isn't data it's anecdotal, useful if you want a small sample of opinions/agendas and not facts ;)

Buynow, Joynz and ollidrac nosaj like this.
  11. Chicken or Beef?

Wouldn’t that information go into forming a report?

12. berten

berten Well-Known Member

It could. And letters could be used to write reports. And pencils could be used to write letters--

That's semantics, the use of the word report in this case is in the sense of agent reporting or not reporting the result as failed or successful. Semantics, opinions, feelings are one thing, but the two numbers agents can't control:

747 auctions, 217 (29%) sold

Joynz likes this.
  13. DrunkSailor

Yeah. anything over 60% is supposed to indicate prices rising. Anything under 50% indicates prices falling and 50% is supposed to be flat. So you should start seeing prices rise in Sydney. Some sources like Louis Christopher reckon it's just seasonal. There's been a financial uptick globally in january. China saw record amount of financing in january as PBoC injected massive stimulus again like it's done every january for the last several years. However this time they injected a record amount of stimulus because everything was crashing in 2018 and they've recently vowed to have no intention of flooding the market with credit but instead only intend to keep markets stable.

I remember in Feb last year there was an uptick with local auction prices hitting record highs for my segment then by march everything was declining. So it's not unreasonable to believe things are stabilising/rising again nor is it unreasonable to believe it's just a seasonal uptick.

14. mues

mues Well-Known Member

Anecdotal evidence shows more action. But could just be a dead cat bouce with those locked out of the market stepping in. Same in Melbourne.

Still safe to wait a bit to invest. If you want PPOR worth trying to cut a weak one off the pack if you are in a strong financial position.

However, for the next year at least. Time is on the buyers side.

15. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I dont know where you folks are getting your 'reported results' figures from, but they are off (or, have been updated). According to this report:

'Like the old days': Sydney dumps draw strong crowds on first bumper auction weekend in 2019

There were 660 scheduled, and 348 reported (SO FAR! It is unfair to get to 5pm - same day - and start hypothesising that agents didnt report them! Saturday is their busiest day of week and they probably don't get time until the evening to do that admin..).

So, based on figures above and at 61% of (sydney) reported auctions selling; no matter how you slice these numbers, it is a vast improvement on not only the previous two weeks (first two auction weeks of 2019), but also a big improvement on Nov/Dec.

Yes we are still in a downswing market but all things considered, one must accept that today was a (comparably) gpod week in Sydney.

WattleIdo and Redom like this.
  16. gary176

gary176 Well-Known Member

Buy buy buy that’s what the REA and sellers will say... just hold.... wait for labor to win... and prices will go down further...

Ppl buying now will miss out on more savings... years of little to no growth ahead ...

We had tasters qtr decline last qtr but some ppl just want u to see stupid data...

17. berten

berten Well-Known Member

That’s not a report. It’s an article on domain (a real estate company), siting anecdotes from RE agents.

Auction clearance results are always reported Saturday afternoon, then revised Thursday. Unreported rates are through the roof, not a theory.

18. DrunkSailor

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I wish all the bedt, keep us posted

20. BoatArrival

BoatArrival Well-Known Member