Sydney City can someone host some Airbnb guests for me?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Gockie, 8th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi Folks,
    I got an interesting sounding airbnb request that would be for 3 months for a Cirque du Soleil performer and her partner.

As I want to be able take this booking I want to shift 2 other existing bookings to other accommodation. (I have been in communication with them and it appears to be ok with them if they find suitable other place to stay)

So....
    Anybody know of good accommodation to suit a couple (apartment is great) for a week 22nd Sept to 29th Sept 2016 ideally in or around Ultimo Sydney area?? Needs to be clean and very comfortable. They are an English couple visiting a brother.

Same for 21-27 October, but other locations near Sydney city can be considered. Note this set of guests are visiting Australia on their honeymoon.
    Please let me know if you can host!

Ideally looking for Private accommodation, not shared in both cases.

MTR and EN710 like this.
  2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

3 months? That's awesome! All the best in finding someone.

3. Gockie

Thanks. Please spread the word to anybody you know who might be able to help me out!

larrylarry likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

So what happens if you don't find alternative accommodation for them? Do you honour the previous bookings?

I haven't used Airbnb after a friend had a ten day booking cancelled by the owner a fortnight before they were due to fly to New York. The owner alleged family reasons and simply cancelled by an email. Airbnb helped as much as they could and gave extra money, but the alternative booking was nowhere near as attractive as the original.

Sadly, it has put me off as I want to be sure bookings all be honoured.
    Marg

wylie and Pumpkin like this.
  5. Gockie

I'm planning to honour the original requests. I had even thrown in a $120 sweetener to the 2 bookings to my request to them to move....
    I was/am hoping to find a win-win situation.

wylie and Marg4000 like this.
  6. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

I have a tiny balcony overlooking Abercrombie that can rent to your guest:p

MTR likes this.
  7. Gockie

Lol. Turn that balcony into a full apartment and we will have a deal :)

8. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Hi @Gockie Where is your airbnb rental?

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Have you looked on AirBNB yourself to find them something? Or are these people also looking? If you offered them a little more than $120 they may be happy to look themselves.

How much is a week at your AirBNB? How much extra to shout them into an hotel? Is it worth it for you to be able to get a three month booking? Tricky situation. And you will risk getting a bad review if it is not resolved to their satisfaction.

10. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I suspect the people with the shorter bookings are not looking for alternatives because they would not know about this other opportunity. Reviews can only happen after a stay. If a stay is cancelled, there is no review. But if a host cancels a booking, they penalised in searches.
    Marg, cancellations can happen. Of the ones I have heard about, it is often because a host has been told by a building manager or local authority they have to stop hosting. In these cases, AirBNB usually get involved and look for alternatives.
    Hey Gockie, I'll take the Cirque du Soleil people. They could set up a trapeze in my space.

Journeyman likes this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have a ten night booking in New York for September. We've been told not to mention that we are AirBNB customers. We apparently are relatives of (name of owner).

I'm sure the other people in the building are not stupid. I guess we are taking a risk. If I knew this before we booked and paid, perhaps I would have changed my mind?

I've put our travel agent on notice that we may have to call her and have her help us find something at short notice if things go sour. I'm not worrying about it, but it is a little unsettling to know if we get there and cannot stay, we will be up for several thousand more somewhere else short term (hotel).

12. Gockie

Ta everybody, update, I've ended up leaving the bookings as is.
    Too hard to move.
    Darlington, near Redfern. 4 mins walk to station.
    Approx $850 a week but more or less depending on no. of guests. Re reviews, see Depreciator's comment.
    I told one group the reason for why I wanted to move them (because they asked) and as a result they were happy to move for that reason as long as I found them a suitable place. The others will be on their honeymoon (yikes!). Decided to leave it to them to decide, no pressure. I previously had newly weds... absolutely great people, they left a gorgeous note and a huge bunch of flowers for me...
    I can forward to you :). They want to stay roughly something like 14th Aug to 16th Nov.
    I'm now getting people asking if they book with me, that they wont get cancelled on. Thats fairly new. People also seem to not read or see my checkin info. They should be getting that info in their email, but I think that info from Airbnb is hidden in the email.

In other news... I feel like i've done 6 loads of washing just Airbnb related in the past few days

Danny370z likes this.
  13. hash_investor

Yes, airbnb must be strong near the city. Any idea about airbnb'ng further out? I have seen listings as far as Rhodes but not more than that.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Gockie

Sounds like you are on a winner here, location... location..

Cheers
    MTR:)

Gockie likes this.
  15. Gockie

I'm doing it in West Ryde and you'd be surprised on the demand actually. Events on at SOP help, as well as hospitals, golf courses, but also relos living in the area....
    Its extremely handy though with transport, plus I include a car spot. Shops, restaurants all nearby. Woolies maybe 150-200m away at West Ryde.

EN710 and MTR like this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I admire what you are doing, but I expect so much time and energy required??

MTR:)

Journeyman likes this.
  17. hash_investor

Do you have much competition in west ryde as well?

18. Gockie

I think its worth it for Darlington, West Ryde is ok for me as its between my work and home.
    I would not want to manage a 3 bed place though, way too much to wash and too much making of beds and washing of towels. My Friday nights are blocked off so I usually end up cleaning (usually takes 90min-2 hours) it then I have volleyball scheduled for 8-10pm..... Floorboards at West Ryde are easy to clean.
    I dont really look at the competition, (not recently anyway), I basically only focus on mine. Near city there's heaps of other places, I know that.
    I wouldnt stress too much if the place isnt booked as you can get last minute people booking, or I drop my rate a little. But its interesting, sometimes you can get heaps of enquiries and at other times nothing for a while. Lots of peaks and troughs and it tends to even out to result in a fully booked calendar.

MTR likes this.
  19. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I am glad to see you have decided to honour the original bookings. Cancelling them so you can make a more profitable booking is not the spirit in which airbnb was founded, and in no way fair on those whos bookings were originally accepted in good faith.

20. Gockie

Its absolutely not about the profitability on my end for this particular scenario, its about the need for having to do so many changeovers. I love a long staying guest booking, but still paying a handsome premium over a long lease. Plus there's flexibility of if I want to use it too. It feels like set and forget with perks. :)