NSW Sydney Central 2 bed apt. structuring

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by lascala, 8th Jul, 2023.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lascala

lascala Member

Hi all,

Any comment about structuring this purchase and if I got it right?

Already own PPR: 400k sitting in offset
    Buying 1st IP: 2 bed, budget or PP target between 800k-999k
    IP financing: equity + debt 30 year mortgage, floating

Let's say I buy IP where PP is $800k. If I take cash sitting in my offset, pay down the PPR loan and then "borrow" this same amount as equity to buy IP does this mean I can claim interest on the full $800k as tax deductible?

The below is one of the properties I'm looking at, I think I can get it for 800k and its rented at the moment paying 750 p.w. If I can deduct the interest on the full 800k then its positively geared to start with which is great. Am I right or am I missing something?

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

https://www.realestate.com.au/prope...ge=rea:buy:srp-map&sourceElement=listing-tile

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Have you checked the valuation? Unlikely this will be 800k. It sold for 885 in 2016. Also there is stamp duty and other costs.

even if you did get 750 pw on a 800k buy, it probably wont be positively geared with mortgage rates at 6% and after body corp and other costs.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It will be negatively geared ie costs exceed income.

Will the bank allow you to redraw the $800k?

4. lascala

lascala Member

I will talk to my mortgage manager next week. But if they do allow to borrow 800k this means the interest on the full 800k is tax deductible, correct?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

An accountant can confirm if it qualifies.

6. lascala

lascala Member

Im such a goof. How can I check how much it last sold for and when? Or do you just check the "Sold" on Domain?

Valuation will be done by my bank once I make an offer or win the auction, no?

800k to buy
    350 equity
    450 debt at 7% (interest. 5.8% +. repayments add up to say 7%) is approx 32k p.a
    750 p.w rent is approx 39k p.a
    body corp is 1k p.q or. 4k p.a
    net im left with 3k profit, no?

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2023
  7. lascala

lascala Member

is it worth using an accountant for something as simple as this?

8. Trainee

You dont understand how this works.

using equity means borrowing against it. In your example that means borrowing 840k @6% interest plus 2% principal so 50k interest and another 17k principal. Against rent of 39k and maybe 10k costs (management fees, body corp, council rates, repairs).

Tax loss 20k a year. Cashflow depends on your tax rate but at 30% you are down 30k+ after tax.

seriously dont look at property until you do understand this.

you might be better off stating all your numbers. Ppor value, loan outstanding, offset balance, rough income and let mortgage brokers comment.

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2023
    lascala likes this.
  9. Trainee

its not simple.
    Talk to a good mortgage broker, tax advisor and solicitor before looking at property.

lascala and Scott No Mates like this.
  10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Only if they are a solicitor or tax agent.

Generally if you borrow to invest in income producing property, without the borrowed money taking a detour or being mixed etc then the interest would be deductible against the rent.

Emiliano and lascala like this.
  11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Why not keep the cash and borrow against the main residence for the 25% deposit?

lascala likes this.
  12. lascala

lascala Member

Might as well.

PPOR:
    Bought for 900
    Debt outstanding 780
    Interest Rate 5.75

Income 180k

Savings, all in offset, currently approx 450k

Looking at buying first investment property.

Please comment.

13. lascala

lascala Member

Thats the plan. I am trying to figure out the best way of doing it so I don't just use my cash without using all the benefits (tax offsets).

14. Trainee

As a guide, if you want to buy a place for 800 plus costs, then your total debt afterwards will be between 1.2 and 1.6. On income of 180 (including or excluding super?) with maybe 35k rent shaded at 70%?

your first step is to find out from a good mortgage broker just how much borrowing capacity you have.

Last edited: 9th Jul, 2023
    lascala likes this.
  15. Trainee

Just to throw it out there anyway. Why a 2 bed unit? Why not a 3 bed house? Might not be where you would want to live, but history tells us….

lascala likes this.
  16. lascala

lascala Member

Well, I have approx 770k debt outstanding on PPOR and looking at borrowing max 650k so all up I will 1.4m in debt.

Already have pre approval to borrow 650k.

17. lascala

lascala Member

I never owned a house so I am just scared buying something I don't understand or have a "feel" for. Therefore targeting apartments in prime locations. I might be wrong so open to advice and happy to change the strategy.

18. Trainee

You can't be wrong about how you 'feel'. But have you looked at growth rates for apartments v houses (even this is a huge generalisation: read about OTP apartments and house and land in new suburbs, for example).

If I was starting now it would be old houses each and every time. And not necessarily Sydney.

This is why you want to set goals, and evaluate investments against goals. If what you are comfortable with doesn't get you to those goals, get good information and risk being uncomfortable. If someone said to you they have never borrowed money before so they are not comfortable with debt so don't want to buy property, what would you say?

Last edited: 9th Jul, 2023
    lascala likes this.
  19. Trainee

What you need to understand is that using the money in the offset (with tax advisor advice do it correctly so that you can deduct the interest on the extra 200k you need for a 800k purchase on top of the new 650k loan) means that after you settle, you are paying interest on 850k more debt on a 800k purchase compared to now.

You will still be cashflow negative by approx 3-5% of your purchase price. That's after tax.

Nothing wrong with that as long as the future rents and capital gains is more than this. And on your income that should be manageable. But if you go into this thinking you are positively geared somehow......

20. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

On the finance side, if your borrow cap with lender X is 650 it may be 800 with lender Y.

If needing 840 to buy, what I am seeing happening here is 840 - 650 k lend leaves a deposit of 190 k.

Im guessing we are looking to take the 160 from the 450 k savings on the advice ( or lack thereof) of your credit adviser.

If thats the case you will lose a tax deduction of approx12 000 in interest per year ( at today's rates), each and every year reverse compounding over the term you hold the debt.

Typically, one would take the 190 k, pay down the home loan by the 190 k, then take a new 190 k IO loan secured only to the PPOR, and use that for deposit and costs

Please seek specific credit and tax advice.

ta
    rolf

lascala likes this.