Sydney based investor, where to buy?!

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Lisa Kim, 11th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lisa Kim

Lisa Kim Member

Hi all,

I am a first time buyer based in Sydney with a budget of +/-800k. Quite conflicted as to where I should invest. Sydney seems to be a declining market currently, but the idea of investing interstate in a foregin area where I have no local knowledge at all feels also quite uncomfortable. Wondering what everyone’s opinion on this is. Is all of Sydney declining or are there some parts in the market within my budget that are still doing okay? What’s your thought on Brisbane?

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Middle ring. Strong owner Occupier area. Free standing house. Add value potential. Nothing too new.

fols and Rich2011 like this.
  3. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

maybe check out south of Sydney, Sutherland, Janali, Miranda .... might be good value. But these are long term hold, may not be quick gain.

Brisbane might have more opportunities for good capital growth in shorter term.

considering a reputable BA to help you if you don't feel comfortable purchasing interstate.

Last edited: 11th Apr, 2018
    Propertunity likes this.
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Of course ALL of Sydney is not declining. In the same suburb you can for example, have A-grade property going up and selling after the first Open, B-grade property flat-lining and C-grade property declining in vale and taking longer to sell.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  5. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Sydney Kirawee is still amazing value for free standing houses. You will need 1 million ...
    The new development of 100s new apartments shopping precinct so area is changing.

Are you investing to live or purely investing.

Have a look at Liverpool area in general. Alot of changes most very positive.

But its a longer play.

Similar to one I bought in the area but bigger black 613 sqm
    $640-$670,000
    28 West Street Lurnea NSW 2170 - House for Sale #127868346 - realestate.com.au

6. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Unless you are going to be activately involved in renovating a place to add value - then I'd suggest you have better chances outside of Sydney.

A few trips to get comfortable with interstate property markets is not that difficult or expensive.

Trying to outperform the market is a much harder.

7. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I would not buy anything in Sydney at present, particularly on the outskirts