Sydney Back to the Boom-Dr Andrew Wilson Presentation Oct2016

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Coota9, 28th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Please find recent presentation from Sydney Property Expo

Attached Files:

Kat, WattleIdo, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  2. House

House Well-Known Member

And his beautifully eloquent ramblings with the Property Couch fellas

3. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Agreed @House his answers in the podcast are somewhat..err..um overly detailed!!

4. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Was in the crowd. Interesting comments about how he sees the property cycle flattening out compared to previous cycles due to trending down of interest rates over time. Good food for thought

The main points of difference between his views and the status quo of the people on PC were:
    • He was quite bullish about Sydney in general for the next 12-18months. I think he was predicting ~5% p.a growth
    • He was not quite as bearish about the Sydney apartment market, citing no indication of oversupply.
    I wonder if his bullishness about Sydney was partly due to the fact that he was in an expo in Sydney?

Also, given he works for Domain, are his opinions completely his own, or is there an element of bias due to his employer's best interests? I'm genuinely curious...

5. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Let me help you with that, with a little insight.....

Mid to late 2015, a Domain representative here in Brisbane informed me that they were about to undertake a massive grab for Queensland market.They were looking for maximum exposure anywhere they could get it and if I could approach some of my higher profile clients to see if there was an opportunity to co-host or sponsor events etc big or small. They were literally throwing money around to be seen, so they were looking at doing anything for exposure - and it worked.

They were everywhere, across all platforms of media including this guy, on breakfast television up to a couple of times a week "commenting" on that weeks news reports about some new staggering or shocking (but select) statistics. ( some are quoted in the article below)

He was of course the new real estate expert on behalf of guess who, Domain. The same group who were spitting out the sensationalist press releases and ridiculous case studies he was feeding off, and they were painting as bad a picture as they could .

It was bleedingly obvious to me what was going on and I let Domain management know as well as commenting on it in my client communication - a couple of the journalists picked it up and it got posted in a few different places, several of which were agent focused sites and it got well read.

Obviously, not a lot of agents are going to support a site that is telling their customers to think twice before buying or you'll lose money . Surprise , surprise very quickly, Dr Wilson and his doom and gloom faded away and I don't remember seeing him again until now .- mind you i wasn't looking !

Typing this, It's just struck me now that he's just popped up again , on my radar anyway, and it's the same time of year, and co-incidentally Domain just released a range of big new products this week !

Maybe they are going to try and trump up a boom together this year ?. No worries about upsetting the agents there...

The article leads into the Domain comment

Why Brisbane isn't over-inflated

Befuddled, New2prop and Gockie like this.
  6. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

He's been around . SMH is his natural home .

Cliff

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Thanks for sharing your view. People have agendas - gotta understand where they are coming from, who pays them.

Agent30yrs. likes this.
  8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Mate spot on.......I can't believe that people can't see the vested interests...you are obviously seeing it...

Domain relies on advertising revenue...so would it be a good look if he said the property market is shot via stats? Nope...advertising revenue would drop.....also look at the people sponsoring it...that is telling in itself...

In my opinion....Sydney is the midst of correction...so is places in the East of Melbourne like Balwyn, Mt Waverley, Doncaster.....time will tell..

I also stand by my thread on Mt Druitt suburbs correcting by 2019..as per my original thread...currently I am unable to post there....linkie provided....

NSW - Watching the Druie Drop in Slow Motion

Agent30yrs. likes this.
  9. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

Its a good interview on property economics.