VIC Sunshine

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Aaron T, 27th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Aaron T

Aaron T Member

I’m wondering what the consensus is with folks on the forum for the sunshine/braybrook/ sunshine north areas. With all the hoopla of the long awaited airport rail link and the upgrade to include somewhat of a ring rail to the outer suburbs, the area is looking promising. Couple this with the proposed economic growth from the government here and it seems like a winner.
    What have people’s experiences been like here for either investment properties or subdivide and dual occ? I’m seeing 600 -+ sqm places around the 700k mark. This looks promising to me.

2. Ben JH

Ben JH Well-Known Member

These areas have seen a lot of growth in the past few years. So the question is whether they will get the same kind of growth. It will be like buying a hot stock.

IMO, there isn't much downside, given the development plan as mentioned.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  3. Rose 51

Rose 51 New Member

Depends on which pocket - I think imho although prices are already up, they will skyrocket once the old adage comes through “build it and they will come”. We have property here with tenants and we will develop in next couple years

4. SuperOlaf

SuperOlaf Well-Known Member

Interested to know which part(s) of Sunshine will do well in your view. Despite being from Melbourne, I am not familiar with the area at all.

5. Rose 51

Rose 51 New Member

Sunshine proper is already hot, and the Sunshine North pocket off Ballarat Rd is sought after. Ardeer next to Sunshine also booming and blocks there are very big. Sunshine North near hospital is like a sleeping beast. Sunshine West gaining momentum due to renovated public high school. If precinct plans are delivered then this corner 13km from the city will benefit from it... again my personal opinion. I don’t live there but live close and I watch due to the property we have there

MikeyBallarat and SuperOlaf like this.
  6. mcdill

mcdill Well-Known Member

7. ele

ele Member

Also Albion next to sunshine is a sleeping giant. Everyone knows about the suburb sunshine, sunshine north and sunshine west but not many know about Albion.

8. DreamzUnlimited

DreamzUnlimited Well-Known Member

Wondering whats the take on this now? Are Sunshine, Sunshine North, Albion still the go keeping in mind the future rail link? Good to have some views.

Thanks

9. ele

ele Member

Still the go. Long term hold in those suburbs. Properties have the potential to also be Airbnb for tourists wanting to live and experience ‘local Australian suburban living’.

10. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

I haven't been to Sunshine but have heard its not the best area, and lower quality tenants, similiar to Bankstown in Sydney? Is the rail necessarily going to change this? Railway stations are often attract undesirables drugs and crimes etc? How long will the train take to get into the city after upgrade?

Last edited: 15th Sep, 2021
  11. Rose 51

Rose 51 New Member

12. Rose 51

Rose 51 New Member

Agree it’s long term hold. Post pandemic the boom will come.

13. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

14. polyteK

polyteK New Member

I feel Braybrook is overlooked as well - it's closer to the city compared to Sunshine and an immense amount of development is happening in every street. I managed to snag an almost 600sqm North-facing house for less than 700k earlier this year. It's a long-term hold for me as it's my first house but I feel there's great untapped potential.

Sunshine North along Ballarat Rd is a great pocket as well - just turn left and you're on your way to the CBD in less than 15 mins! A mate of mine purchased there last year for around 690k, and the house next door (in poorer condition) sold for 780k a few weeks back.

One of my uni friends also lives in Albion, a lot of growth all the way down that corridor too.

I wouldn't bother too much with the main Sunshine area, it's way too hot and overpriced at the moment. However, if you look, there's always opportunity.

I attended this auction at 2 Yewers St, Sunshine (https://www.realestate.com.au/property//2-yewers-st-sunshine-vic-3020) earlier this year - it was in terrible condition and it has a Heritage Overlay, but damn, 538k for it - absolute bargain! I almost put up my hand in the auction without finance sorted.

My 2 cents, but I would look in Braybrook or Sunshine North, on either side of Ballarat Rd.

15. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

Anyone actually living or lived in or near Sunshine? Is it relatively safe now (seems to still have a bad reputation). Street view doesn't look great (shopping trolleys, abandoned cars, overgrown lawns, dilapidated houses etc. How long does it take to get into the city by train?