suggested resource for picking stocks

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by Oshawott, 20th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Oshawott

Oshawott Well-Known Member

have recently been thinking of diversifying a bit away from property and into dividend paying stocks.

i have read thru a bunch of the threads here on PC. im just wondering if there are any good resources such as forums (like PC but for shares) or newsletters or paid services that can HELP.

am interested in subscribing to Intelligent Investor service, is it advisable?

since i'm here asking, what are people's thoughts on anz, nab and air nz shares currently as backbone of a high dividend portfolio.

Thanks very much for any assistance

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

The dividend yield scans are worth a look.

Dividend Yield Scans Overview

Also consider a diversified approach to investing for dividends by picking the right ETFs and LICs.

3. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Morningstar gives 1 month of Premium membership. When it expires, use another email addr

4. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Strongly look at LICs first. There are many traps for yield focussed investors just starting out.

Archaon and Blueskies like this.
  5. Jack Chen

Jack Chen Well-Known Member

What's your goal?

Are you looking to trade or long term buy and hold (forever) using dividends to fund lifestyle?

6. Oshawott

7. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

NABTrade is also good. $15 per trade. cash in the account also incur interest.

The tools good. For example below in the NAB Globa Scanner, I filtered based on Dividends that is 5-15% AND Recommendations based on Morningstar's Undervalued recommendations. You can scan based on fundamentals, valuation, price, technical etc.

upload_2016-7-21_20-4-32.png

Oshawott likes this.
  8. Oshawott

You think nabtrade better thaln commsec? Specifically their research?

9. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Ok, if you are going to use a service for ideas I'd suggest Morningstar. Morningstar as an organisation has a good investment framework, but still a lot of the analysts calls leave a lot to be desired. Bear in mind they need to keep producing material even though most of the time nothing is happening.

Now in particular for income focussed investors their equity income model portfolio is worth following. I found the best features of Morningstar is the weekly investment newsletter they send in the post. I quite enjoyed flicking through that each week while learning about the ASX universe of stocks. At the same time that you do this you really need to be doing a LOT of reading - the stock investment resources thread in this forum has a lot of ideas. What you need is your own framework of knowledge to be able to place the flood of information you will be receiving. Running screens (ie. scanning/filtering) on fundamental data will give you all kinds of stuff, most of it not investment grade and if filtering on dividend yield / price to book / PE etc will throw up very many classic value traps that will end up going to zero.

So before worrying about picking stocks, I'd suggest a lot of reading first. And if you want to spend some money, buy some of the large LICs mentioned here a lot while you continue your research. Good Luck :)

scoobie27 and Anne11 like this.
  10. Oshawott

Thank you @The Falcon for your advice. I do enjoy reading and i am the careful type. i just needed a starting point to re familiarize myself in the world of stocks...and you have undoubtedly given some good advice.

11. joel

joel Well-Known Member

12. charttv

charttv Well-Known Member

13. inspiredbyprop

inspiredbyprop Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried this company? Fat Prophets - Stock Market Research & Wealth Management

I received free "standard" access (next level is premium) for a short time when I set up margin loan with ANZ.
    I only started looking at their AU equities report, it has recommended buy/sell/hold and price which are supported by their analysis. For a new investor like me, I find it quite useful although I have not acted on any of recommendations yet. But from their past recommendations, I can see that most of the recommendations are positive. I think the recommendation report comes out once a week with half a dozen stocks in it.

After signed up, one of the sales manager called me and offered the premium access which will have ETF and global reports and one-time portfolio review/balancing.
    I'm not sure if it is worth paying just yet. I will keep studying their reports and newsletter until it's expired....

14. joel

joel Well-Known Member

They are pretty good and they don't even make recommendations. If I'd bought the top 4 growth potential stocks on Simplywallst a year ago, I'd have quadrupled my money by now

charttv likes this.
  15. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Motley fool :) or dartboard with asx codes....

Sorry not helpful, but I couldn't resist.

16. jhmtaylor

jhmtaylor Well-Known Member

I have had various newsletters over the years and have settled on Marcus Today. The commentary on specific stocks is excellent because they looks beyond just the numbers. The MT stock box is an excellent tool for a snap shot on a stock. They also has two model portfolios which have been doing pretty well. I also second @The Falcon comment about LIC's

17. lamecrocs

lamecrocs Well-Known Member

I find the Marcus Today's "free" articles are very interesting and help my learning. Do you still have the subscription? if so, how's it performing so far? more importantly, how's their type of research? thanks