Subsidence of Backyard Footpath - Concern for House?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Switcheroo, 8th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Switcheroo

Switcheroo Member

Hi all,
    A couple of pavers from my backyard footpath (connected to the house) are starting to show subsidence after the many storms etc, but the house is so far not showing any issues - would these be indicative of potential house subsidence in the future, or would the fill under the houses foundations be of better quality (built on cut and fill block). 5 year old house. Engineer has done a quick eyeball and said it’s no concern, but wanted to double check (yes I am a nervous Nelly haha).
    Thankyou!!

Attached Files:

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its possible the concrete was laid on uncompacted soil which has settled with heavy rain. Concreters dont generally compact stable appearing soil. Newer homes can be a mystery sometimes and its possible some cut / fill left a filled area where it was less compacted. Being a fenceline it could be backfill too. In drought that wouldn't have sunk until the deluge of the past 1.5years.. Concrete paving just sits on the earth where foundations etc are dug and the filled with reo and concrete and are intended to be solid. Worst case you may have uneven paths or it may have settled now but you could consider removing the concrete paving and compacting before its newly laid.

Switcheroo likes this.
  3. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

It is also possible the concreter didn't lay rio in it. I have seen edge crumbling and concrete sinking where rio hasn't been used.

Switcheroo likes this.
  4. Switcheroo

Switcheroo Member

Thanks Paul, so sounds like this doesn’t mean there’s a specific threat to the house itself?