Submersible water pump in rain water tank

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by James Bond, 11th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

So an electrical fault has been reported at one of my properties - "The tenant has reported that when they switch on the water pump and rain water tank, it trips the power throughout the whole house"

A company has been out to quote for a new rain water submersible pump, which is $910.

As this pump is not essential for living there, am I obligated to replace it? There is mains water without this pump.

Thanks

JB

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Your rainwater tank probably requires the pump to make it any more than a trickle.

It was possibly a condition of the DA/CC for the rainwater tank tk have a pump to comply with BASIX or other efficiency measures.

What will an external pump on the lower outlet cost?

3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

If the pump was present at the beginning of the tenancy then unfortunately you are responsible to

1. Rectify, or
    2. Replace, or
    3. Reimburse rental.

Have a look at what @Scott No Mates suggested or ask if the tenants are willing to have the unit removed to stop the problem. They may be happy to do so.

4. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

The quote is for an external pump. They actually didn't quote for a replacement submersible.

JB

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

As Chilli said however...
    How olds the internal, any chance of claiming it?
    Can you organise more than two quotes? (incl one from a handyman)
    What is the tank servicing? (i.e. how much pressure is required)

Pumps are Very easy to DIY install if you're able to, check prices at Bunnys etc.
    If not DIY there's obviously labour + new additional parts if changing it to an external to accommodate the feed line.

6. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

We only have tank water where we live.

I went down the Bunnings path with a $350 external pump - 3 breakdowns in 2 years, the third time they agreed to refund (2 year warranty).

I purchased a good quality pump and pressure tank which cost me just over $1,000 and I installed it myself.

$910 sounds very reasonable, I would just ensure the pump is likely to last the test of time.

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Is it hooked up to the house or just watering? Do the tenants actually use it.if it's grey water to the house you'll need to replace as their water bill will jump using town water

8. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

I have a similiar issues with one of my rentals in Qld with the pump going with the water tank,detail of price below and I thought it was a little steep.

The breakdown of the cost;

$1069.00 for the pump

$132.00 Labour

$66.00 Travel

$33.00 materials

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

That looks cheap, it's the pump that's a killer!

You guys should buy in bulk direct from Germany! Grundfos is it?

10. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Davey Rainbank System whatever that is:confused::confused:

11. SueA

SueA Well-Known Member

Our Davey pump at duplex died as well, plumber said he doesn't use them , quoted $829 for a SP334 sub pump installed. Google Davey rainsaver, not very good reviews, anyway I didn't fix it straight away, got next water bill, was down from 921 to 893. Got other unit to turn theirs off as well, next bill 782. I had read that these things top up at a certain level automatically so top up with town water often. Will save tenants power as pump not turning on constantly.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That means the settings for the refill are probably set too high or you're in drought.

All that is required is to adjust the float arm so it isn't as sensitive or to have the pump switched off during long dry spells.

SueA likes this.
  13. SueA

SueA Well-Known Member

Didn't think of that, plumber mightn.t of either, paid him to go and see why the water usage was so high and he said unit 2 was working correctly, but Davey in unit 1 was stuffed and not worth repairing, while I am saving 140 a quarter at the moment, will leave it alone but look at your suggestion in between tenancies. Thanks

14. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

That's huge! Is that delivered in a truck? (annually or quarterly)
    My duplexes combined scheme average $380pq incl usage & S&E.

15. SueA

SueA Well-Known Member

No UnityWater deliver Moreton Bay Shire water,a truck would be a lot cheaper. The water is so good here they want 90% of it back as sewerage and charge for it.
    97kl bill. for 3 adults 1 child, Hence why I sent the plumber around. Without tank/pumps working now 69. Still think something wrong as this is way too much, no gardens and no one home in day time.
    State Gov Bulk 260.15
    Water usage 64.70
    Sewerage 90% of usage 58.23
    Water Access charge 159.82
    Sewerage Access 378.51. Total 921.41 for the quarter. If strata could pass on 324.85 of water bill. Plus 704.60 rates per quarter. Sister has a duplex as well, her last quarter touch over 1k.

16. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

They don't top up your tank. They just switch to mains water when the tank is dry. So it must of been another reason that your water bill went down.