Subletting Apartments Melbourne

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by LloydThomas, 20th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LloydThomas

LloydThomas Active Member

Hi All,

Just wanted to know if there is anyone who has experience subletting apartments in Melbourne CBD and surrounding areas? Are landlords open to this type of arrangement?

Cheers

2. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

I think a lot of lease agreement have a standard clause about "no subletting no airbnb."

People just do it anyway and don't tell the landlord.

Heaps like this in CBD where there are a large student population.

3. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

It does happen without the landlord's knowledge but this really is playing with fire for so many reasons. The potential insurance problems are an absolute minefield should the worst happen so I would highly advise against this until you have the direct permission of the landlord and it is written into the agreement.

4. LloydThomas

LloydThomas Active Member

Defiantly looking to do this with landlords permission as i believe there is a uplift in insurance required. Just trying to work out if there are landlords willing to lease under this arrangement.

5. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

What type of subletting? Taking out a normal length lease and then sub letting short term? Other?

6. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I allow it but I would want increase in rent etc ($10-$20) per week as it needs to cover the more water rates etc, maintenance etc.

7. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

People will agree to a lot of things if you throw enough money at them...

If you pay double the rent to the landlord I think they will be very easily to persuade but if you keep rent the same I think it would be more difficult.

Work out what is viable for you and make an offer to the landlord the worst they can say is no.

8. Awesome Adventure Couple

Awesome Adventure Couple Member

I know this is an old post but I wanted to see if you had any success in subletting, my husband and I are interested in doing something similar, living in the home part time and then subletting whilst we travel, which is regularly. The goal to help cover the rent during those periods whilst we save for our own home.