Subdivision Petrie

Discussion in 'Development' started by Two+Wife, 2nd Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Two+Wife

Two+Wife Member

Hi all,

First time asking a question.

Quick back ground on me and my family.
    I have a wife of 5 years a 2.5 year old boy and a 7 week old. My wife is currently on maternity leave until June.
    We have 1 IP in fitzgibbon. We live in a 3 bed in petrie on a 1050m2 corner block. We are looking into 2 ideas for our next property.

1. Buy , knock down rebuild Brisbane Northside/ Moreton Bay Regional to live in. And rent out Petrie.

2. Would prefer to subdivide Petrie property and build on both blocks and live in one and rent / sell the other.

We are not sure if we are able to devide Petrie or not and would love advice on how to start looking in to that first.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

How close to the town centre / train station / old paper mill is your Petrie property. You may be able to do much, much more than just subdivide it.

Have you checked the zoning?

MBRC Planning Scheme - My property look up

3. Two+Wife

Two+Wife Member

We are in the Petrie on Pine estate off Affleck.
    General Residential however my wife seams to think that may not be set in stone.

4. wombat777

5. Two+Wife

Two+Wife Member

I did read that during my research, however I was quietly hopeful that with the new rail system, new uni and new bus lines they have planned/ finished that they may be rezoning the surrounding areas.....

6. wombat777

The rezoning has already occurred with the new planning scheme that was introduced last year. I wouldn't be putting any hope on further rezoning.

If you have a property close to a bus stop or next to or opposite a park, you might be able to argue a case. You really need town planning advice for that.

You may just be limited to secondary dwellings / dual occupancy. @RetireRich101 and a few others seem to be the experts in this regard.

7. Two+Wife

Two+Wife Member

Not sure if you know the area but yes. There is a park across the road and 50 m from a bus stop...

We are not at all opposed to secondary dwelling or dual occupancy.

We just want to use the land to its fullest potential.

8. wombat777

That assessment was just from taking a quick look at google maps. I did some research last year that informed me that despite zoning, justifications can still be put forward if a proposed development satisfies objectives council are trying to achieve, however you might still face neighbour objection. Certainly talk to a local town planner to see what might be feasible and people have successfully achieved in the past. A professional town planner can also call up council and have a bit of a *careful* chat as part of an preliminary assessment. @RPI might be able to help.

Of course you can also meet with a council town planner yourself. Even if it might be possible to do a townhouse style development, a council town planner won't really be able to give you more than an indicative answer. A definitive answer will require full plans and a full assessment.

I don't know back parts Petrie. I have only driven up/down Anzac avenue and the areas either side of the station ( I bought in the area a couple of months ago ).

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Hello, welcome to Property Chat

You say you live in Petrie on Pine and you are considering subdividing your property. I think the demographic of this estate will object to any application to subdivide or build a granny flat.
    The reason the blocks are so big is so that the residents can build large McMansions there and show off their "My place is bigger than yours" status. The last thing that this demographic will want is smaller lot sizes.

Petrie is the epitome of a country town and country towns dont have small lot sizes. They have tractors for sale in the main street, a pioneer heritage village with a wood fired bakery. Do the residents still drive big muscle cars? (my Friday afternoon sense of humour)

Petrie on Pine is (in my opinion) too far away from the train station to attract the demographic who live in a small unit, walk to the train and commute to the city. I might be way off, but I imagine that the part of Petrie zoned for apartments adjacent to the Uni Precinct will have plenty of high density properties for any expected increase in population. People moved out to POP to get away from citiness and to access the country views and wide open spaces that Moreton Bay is famous for.

I started writing this before you and Wombat posted in the last 30 minutes. You may be able to build a dual occupancy like they have at North Lakes (similar style of housing to POP). Perhaps adding it onto your existing dwelling would be more cost effective than building from scratch.

10. Two+Wife

Two+Wife Member

Hi Angel,

Thanks for the reply.

I fear you are correct. This is the whole reason we bought out here.

We bought our block 2 years ago to renovate and increase the equity and move out to start another project.

We redid retaining walls fences and the ensuite and had a recent value of 50/ 80000 equity added.

We still have the kitchen and the main bathroom to do however the agent giving us the evaluation said if we did much more we would be over capitalizing. I did most of the work myself so the costs of the rents were 20000 max.

I hate the idea of renting out a half completed house but don't want to throw money away.

I am kind of between a rock and a hard place as I want to do more work on the house as I love to stay busy. I'm not planning on selling the property any time i
    Hi Angel,

Thanks for your reply.

I fear that you are absolutely right. That's the whole reason we bought here.

The muscle cars have turned into obnoxious motorbikes unfortunately.

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Ummm... have you looked at Angel's avatar?

12. Two+Wife

Two+Wife Member

That's not the kind I'm referring to ( takes foot out of mouth)

I mean the ones without exhausts and only have one gear....

13. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

All it cost is a quick call to MBRC council....they are quiet helpful.

me thinks the best use on your Petrie "1050m2 corner block" could be dual occupancy that could be strata/community titled as it meets the min frontage of 25m( from memory)....

Not sure the exact details of your existing dwelling on the lot. If it's a typical queenslander, maybe shifted it a little and build your dream home on the vacant land.... You can chose to strata title it immediately or later when you need to sell or access equity...

wombat777 likes this.
  14. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

I love your alias...

....oh wait... ..there is "+"

15. wombat777

Maybe that is why dual-occupancy might suit :p

RetireRich101 likes this.
  16. wombat777

Two blocks circa 525sqm is two entire countries! My PPOR in NW Sydney on 327sqm.

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You're fine, @Two+Wife. I know exactly what you mean by the obnoxious motorbikes. The screetching-sound-making two-stroke ones that kids race around on all day and half the night. Much worse than whipper snippers, chainsaws and lawnmowers on a Sunday morning.

Two+Wife likes this.
  18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Yeah @wombat777 but you are from Sydney.

Even Petrie's Woolworths is still in the 1960s. You should hear all the moaning about how awful North Lakes is (a planned modern town), "All those tiny blocks so close together. And those horrible little white units along the river - who would want to live there?"

Not just the units at NL, I'm also referring to the new ones in Petrie. The born here locals like their wide open spaces, anything under 600m2 is too small. Thank God they built North Lakes to boost the gene pool. For those who dont know it, Petrie on Pine is a middle-class Jennings estate quite similar to the first sections of North Lakes. There aren't many heritage homes left these days in the old section of Petrie near the roundabout, that section has been rezoned to higher density.

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Even if they are allowed to subdivide, I dont think it would be economically viable. I assume our friend purchased a few years ago when the prices were quite low. However there is a ceiling to prices so far out. Is he going to demolish a perfectly good large brick house and build two smaller ones? I cant see the end-purchasers paying the dollars to make it worth while. Maybe in ten year's time if the SEQ economy booms? Brisbane will never be a Sydney or Melbourne.

There is a property on the corner of Dargie St and Felstead St at Everton Park where every second property is being developed. The owners have removed the garage, repaired the end wall to the old house, and subdivided off a separate block at the side. They are building a large two-storey home on the tiny angular allotment. This is 8 klm from the CBD and the new home would be highly desirable. Maybe a similar future project for Uni professors and doctors who will pay more $$ for a smaller eco footprint?

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice