Subdivision - Impact of Trees

Discussion in 'Development' started by Matandon, 7th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Matandon

Matandon New Member

I have a rectangular plot (Blacktown council, Sydney) and have two big "I" shaped trees (18 meters height) planted in my plot (trees do not have any branches). Can these trees cause any issues in subdivision? Can I plant Small lemon and orange trees (~8 meters height) in my backyard and will they cause any issues during subdivision?

Many Thanks! Not looking for perfect answer but some general idea.

2. James Cavill

James Cavill Well-Known Member

What species of tree? Native or exotic? I assume you are wanting to remove them?

In Vic. generally speaking theres no permit required to remove a non native tree (not in a veg protection overlay etc) or trees within 10 metres of an existing building if for management and maintenance purposes. i.e. it might fall down and destroy some portion of the house. The removal of trees caused by proposed development is generally a consideration of the Responsible Authority. Which is why people usually try to remove the trees prior to a development application.

A NSW planner or arborist might be able to assist with the specifics.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Trees can impact a subdivision. An arborist needs to identify the species and provide a report to council when the DA is applied for. If its a protected species etc the DA may be refused. Small fruit trees tend not to pose a issue but worthwhile checking with council as penalties for illegal removal include refusing development. fines etc

Anthony416 likes this.
  4. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Just an opinion...
    Talk to council about removal of those trees ASAP.
    Do not plant any trees!
    Buy a nice lil lemon tree, and put it in a half cut wooden barrel.
    Find a location that won't be impacted by building activity, maybe near the front and plant some native plants.
    DO NOT PLANT ANY TREES

Anthony416 likes this.