Subdivision costs in Perth

Discussion in 'Development' started by Joe bloggs, 18th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joe bloggs

Joe bloggs Member

Hi I am looking to do a simple two block battle axe subdivision in Perth and was wondering if someone could tell me what the costs of subdivision are likely to be? It is a flat block with no demo required and I am intending to retain the front house. Possibly need to include fencing. I was thinking that the overall cost would be in the order of $25k to $35k, but am unsure of what all the individual costs might be. Also wondering if I could save money coordinating the various services and paperwork myself or if it is relatively cost effective to engage a surveyor to do it for me? Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Joe

2. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Do you have a green dome? If not they are about. 6.5k.

Probably 9k for surveyor
    7k water infrastructure and contribution charges
    $800 for settlement agent for titles
    Plus all the costs for your existing house you must comply with. This differs per council.

There is an existing thread I posted in this forum about a year ago with a better and more accurate breakdown

Perthguy and charttv like this.
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I don't know many surveyors which will handle everything. They will do a lot (like get the quotes from Watercorp and Western Power) but you generally need to find a plumber to do the cut in the sewer line that then report back to surveyor that it's done

Somewhere between 20-25k will be enough for all the professionals and some fencing. Probably won't cover paving/concrete for a driveway if you need/want to do that

I'll see if I can find the breakdown @bigdaddy mentioned as I think I contributed to it

4. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

All up you are looking at around 20-25k, go green title if you can.Regarding the dome, not sure what area you are in but the last one I did, just acted dumb, rang the council and said I wanted underground power, it was subsidized, cost me about $600 from memory. Then did the sub division, check the council website.

JohnPropChat and Perthguy like this.
  5. Westminster

Domes used to be subsidised and cost $680. Unfortunately from July 1 they are all now full cost and are around $5k which is an extreme increase.

6. Joe bloggs

Joe bloggs Member

Thanks I will check Big Daddy's thread as well if I can find it. In any case I will budget around $25k. Pity the domes are no longer subsidised. I will consider whether to do the paving for the driveway and the cost of that. Thanks for the advice

7. kevin1980

kevin1980 New Member

Hey mate,

The following is based on the Cost Case study we provide to our clients - we hope this will give you some proper answers on the costs to subdivide a property in Perth in the current market. This is for a 2 lot Subdivision with no major siteworks or retaining required.

• Surveying Fees - $4000
    • WAPC Fees – $3839 Total
    • Local Government Fees - $600
    • Landgate Fee’s - $450
    • Water Contributions - $6000
    • Western Power Contributions - $4900
    Plumber - $2000
    • Electrician - $2000
    Settlement Agent - $800
    • Unit Valuation for Survey Strata - $300
    • Demolition with council / services disconnection fees - $23000

If you are (not demolishing) a house or doing modifications simply subtract the cost of demolition and you should be in the ball park for your own Subdivision.

Fencing is costed per linear meter so it is hard give a price as each project is different.

The costs vary from project to project but this is a good start and with or without Demolition you will be very close to the ballpark here in most cases.

Last edited by a moderator: 19th Mar, 2019
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

Hi Kevin

1. Surveying Fee does include drawing and engineering works, are they charging per project or lots?

2. Water and western power contribution per project or per lot?

3. Unit Valuation for Survey Strata - $300 what is this one for?

9. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Also some surveyors are charging PM fees to manage the subdivision process for you. This could be good for you depending on how experienced you are or willing to be hands on about it.

Timing is key though. Western Power need a 4+ month lead time for works, for example.

10. Westminster

I'm not Kevin, but my 2 cents

1. There shouldn't be any engineering works? But yes that price should include the inital feature survey and drawing of the lots. That fee would be for a 2 lot subdivision.
    2. That example was for a 2 lot subdivision. The first lot already has services, so the charge is for the second/additional lot. Water is always per additional lot but Western Power dome can be shared for 2 lots (even 3 sometimes) so it's not a per lot and depends on if there is currently a dome there or not or has overhead power.
    3. If there is common property then each owner has unit entitlement to it. The surveyor will get a licensed valuer to do the assessment.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.