Subdivide or build a granny flat in Balga, WA?

Discussion in 'Development' started by klffu, 6th Apr, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. klffu

klffu New Member

Hi everyone,

Kindly share your advice with me, please.

I recently bought a property in Balga, 695m2, R40, 1 existing house 3 beds 1 bath which is rented for $550pw. This one can be divided into 3. Some neighbours have divided/built into 3 seperate houses.

If I want to divide it into 3, I have to knock out the existing house which is a waste. I am thinking about 2 options:

Option 1: Keep the existing house for rent, subdivide the back of the existing house, build a new house (4beds, 2 baths) so we can have 2 house in total
    => This option takes us longer to do as the cost for 4beds, 2 baths higher and time to build is longer but get more rent and gain in the future. It takes me at least 2 year to start this option (finance preparation, approval waiting time...)

Option 2: Keep the existing house for rent, build a granny flat at the back. So we can not subdivide it in the future.
    => This option with the new rule of Granny flat from April 2024, we can build it quicker (around 150k for 70 m2 granny flat) in a few months, cost less, quicker and can rent it out for $400-$450 pw for 2beds, 1bath (I reckon). However, less rent and less gain in the future. I can start this option in a few months that can bring me more rent soon.

What option would you choose please? I don't live in WA. It is IP.

Please advise. Thank you so much

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

What was your original strategy with the property?

Building a GF and wasting subdivision potential seems like a terrible idea generally speaking.

Propin and mrdobalina like this.
  3. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

What provides a better return?

4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Probably neither for me.

$150k of shares returns about $8k a year in franked dividends. Do nothing spend nothing receive income.
    A granny flat means future buyers are limited. Will you net $8k a year?
    Maybe the SBD talked about on here.

Many houses are very central on the block. Retain and build. The original house open the back door and walk into a fence.

Many old houses are money pits requiring a lot of work just to maintain the property.

Under the new R codes will it still be a triplex site?

Last edited: 7th Apr, 2024