Styling for rent

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by splatters, 21st Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Really? I think its way better bang for buck than staging.

Tom Rivera and Lil Skater like this.
  2. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Pro photos start at about $90, average in Melbourne is around $130. You can reuse them if you don't do substaintial changes, definitely worth it - even a vacant professionally photographed house will look better than a vacant house with average photos.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We asked outgoing tenants if we could take professional photos of their furniture which looked modern and as stylish as a staged property . They said yes. I took my own photos which were good enough for a rent advert and it meant we didn’t need to intrude further into their lives with an upcoming move and a new baby.

I used the photos and have written permission to keep using them.

geoffw, JacM and Gockie like this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have the same oven it seems....So annoying. Change the element and wont work until the clock is set again and it takes a person with three hands to do it. I have written in marker pen on back of the oven so its never forgotten !! Blanco.

HWS pilot light...MUST be left for 5-10mins before attempting to start or it will not stay lit. You think its mentioned on the cover instructions ? Nope.Just says leave the pilot lamp ventilated before attempting to relight. Doesnt mention the time requirement that prevents starter being fully depressed. Rheem.

Mains smoke alarms MUST be reset using a specific method at the units AND at meter box if 9V backup battery is changed for either up or downstarirs. Chirps its arse off until you do it the right way. HPM.

...and the Emergency release for the electric garage door - Yeah a 3am call asking how to open the door is NOT a good thing. You would think the bright red handle marked (emergency release) had a role for the mentally challenged. No.

All our products are made by *******s Incorporated. Their technical design team look for ways to make life hard.

We have a BUNCH of keys for each place, All tagged. We have masters. And a photo of them. If all arent returned or any complaints we revert to the line - YOU are paying for the locksmith. Every time they say we were never given the key....Photo proves they were.

Tom Rivera, Marg4000 and wylie like this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Idiot proof light fittings for inside the house

I have just been introduced to fully enclosed LED lights - the globes should last at least ten years. Hopefully no requests for an electrician to go out and change any light bulbs.

Gockie likes this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Well, hopefully.

I installed LED lights in a new house. I had three electrician's calls in the first six months before replacing them all.

7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Decent LED's still have a pretty silly failure rate, cheap ones are horrible. They're usually under warranty.

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Tom Rivera likes this.
  9. SuzanneCommerford

SuzanneCommerford New Member

Hi there, I'm a property styling based in Melbourne and throughout late 2018 and into 2019 (when the market was getting touchier) we ended up styling more homes for rent than ever before. Generally it's exactly the same with a shorter campaign duration.

One couple did it because they wanted to have great photos on hand for future rental advertising as well - they got the price they asked and had competing offers with the property styled for just a week.

Another property investor did it for his off the plan investment in a premium suburb in Elwood here in Melbourne where the property was failing to rent vacant. It did take a while but we got it tenanted after our property styling was in place.

I have another client who was having this done in a new apartment complex that her many investors had bought into, they were finishing construction around the same time with lots of new apartments being released onto the rental market in the same building at the same time, so styling was a way to differentiate and create demand.

Suzanne.

10. MicrowaveJenny

MicrowaveJenny Well-Known Member

What about virtual styling?
    I'm considering this for a rental, $150 for all rooms and areas. Rational is to have it stand out amongst the other empty or poorly furnished rentals online?

wylie likes this.
  11. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

If done really well I think its worth it (there are some really horrendous jobs out there), although make sure the furniture style suits the demographic - sometimes it can be on the 'opulant' side and not as relatable for potential tenants.

Tom Rivera and Lil Skater like this.
  12. AlexSays

AlexSays New Member

Not sure if its too late or not but have you considered a quick touch up paint job? Not only can this make your house feel and look much younger than it actually is it also increases the value and perceived value, meaning you can increase the rent.