Styling for rent

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by splatters, 21st Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. splatters

splatters Well-Known Member

Has anyone styled an IP for rent to maximise returns and get better quality tenants?
    I am considering this for a property that will be vacant in a couple of months and would love to hear form anyone who has done it.

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Nope - clean, functional and neutral is all you need. If you can idiot-proof fittings then all the better.

skater likes this.
  3. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

Lizzie, when you say idiot-proof, what do you mean? I'll be doing up places in the near future and that's the type of thing I'm interested in doing.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Make sure everything is easy to use, or leave explicit instructions.

For example, my oven won’t work if the clock is not set. So after a blackout or electrical work I make sure the oven clock is set, any time will do as I don’t use the timer. If I was renting this house out, I would make sure each tenant was aware of this to avoid unnecessary maintenance requests.

And does the hot water system have to be topped up? Leave instructions. Yep, on our first house we called a plumber when the hot water ran out. Plumber simply pulled a lever and filled the tank!

And spend a few hundred dollars and get all locks keyed alike, if possible. One key. Best money we ever spent on our PPOR.
    Marg

The Gambler and splatters like this.
  5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

:p
    in my experience when you go to the trouble of making something idiot proof, you find they develop a higher class of idiot.

Daniel Mumford, Codie, skater and 3 others like this.
  6. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I won’t spend money on staging a rental property, but will take lots of photos when it’s fully furnished, preferably with nice furnishings.

7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

If it’s a good property it won’t be on the rental market long enough.

If it’s a crap property no amount of furniture will make it better

AxeLy, EN710, Codie and 3 others like this.
  8. splatters

great suggestions, i will check this out when it is vacant. i have not lived there so do not know those little tricks.

9. splatters

the problem with this is that it depends on the current tenants furnishings which area not great and they can be very messy with a small child. i was thinking of putting some furniture in and getting professional photos taken which can then be used for the next handful of years if the tenant turns over. the sale photos were taken with the property empty.

AxeLy, Tom Rivera and Pumpkin like this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think for a rental it's absolutely fine to have photos of a vacant property. It gives a signal to prospective tenants that it's available, whereas a photos of a property with furniture doesn't.

AxeLy, welshmin, Tom Rivera and 2 others like this.
  11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That's a lot of expense, for not a lot of gain. Your nice shiny photos might get tenants there, in a few years time, but then they may leave again in disgust when the property shows more signs of wear than were visible in the photos. All that is required are photos of the property in it's current condition, and great maintenance throughout the tenancy.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Idiot proof means simple to operate - vertical blinds - simple electric cooktop - the old KISS strategy.

My absolute best - and trouble free - rentals are two 1970's brick and concrete beasts - concrete floors (carpeted and lino), ceilings and rendered internal walls, brick exterior walls painted white - can't kill it with a sledgehammer. One even has the original kitchen in. Wish I had a dozen more.

13. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

If you have a simple cook top you are more likely to get simple tenants. A good gas cook top can get a much higher rent, depending on the market of course. It is the number one priorty for a particular type of tenant. It could get a higher rent than phoney photos that disappoint on inspection. My most trouble free tenants like cooking.

The Gambler likes this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't pay for styling just to get photos, but with one house we have, we didn't have good photos. The empty house just looked sad and not inviting at all.

I believe photos need to make one interested enough to get them to the open house. Our photos didn't "sell" the property at all.

Our tenants agreed to allow us to hold open houses and the first one we walked in to realise they really had it looking beautiful. We asked if they would allow us to arrange a professional photographer to come in to take photos. They were happy to allow that but with a baby and the need to get started on packing, we just didn't really have time to book a photographer without holding them up from getting packed ready to move.

So, with their agreement, I took photos at that first open house, and the photos were better than anything I had on file.

We rented it that day, but those photos are what we will use next time we need to advertise.

splatters likes this.
  15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Many agents in SW Sydney have 1 exterior shot (of a block of units) and a brief description. No fixed OFI time.

Whether that works or just wastes time is a matter of opinion.

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It obviously works well enough in certain areas.

The recent story I told was the house that I'd had to drop over $100 to fill three years ago when the market was full of new apartments that we were competing with. We are nearly back up to the rent we were getting three years ago.

In January this year, the closest direct competition rented for $5 per week more than we were asking. I priced ours $5 less than this other house. Their photos looked professionally styled, and I couldn't imagine someone renting ours over this other one, almost identical. We were only streets apart, but we were closer walking distance to the trendy main street, cafes, theatre etc and we had a better yard for pets.

But the other house looked better and had an amazing outdoor living area off the main living area. We don't have that connection to the yard.

Interestingly, our tenant came to ours after seeing the competition (and others) and chose ours. The comment was that there was no comparison, but I do believe a big part of the decision was our yard for their dog and walking distance to the local attractions. Going just by the photos, no way would I have chosen ours.

And I've learned that photos (even ours) make a place look bigger and better than the real thing.

splatters likes this.
  17. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Yes agreed. So the secret is to find a Tenant with good taste, and take photos where they live there ;) ..... There are photographers who can photoshop furnitures into an empty property but the quality varies......

18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Have a modest house coming up for rent in approx 6 weeks in the Inner West in Sydney. Am extremely tempted to stage it for RENT. May be a failed experiment but I need to know first hand whether it works...particularly in a slow rental market.

To keep costs down, am thinking of investing maybe $1,000 max in getting some used, classic furniture and accessories ie always in vogue pieces/items and storing it in my garage. I'd like to think I have impeccable taste so it won't look cheap and nasty. Will reuse the furniture every time I have a vacancy - potentially get an Airtasker to move it in and out. In addition, I'll get a professional photographer (off Airtasker :) or I'll get it cheaper via the agent's contacts) to take the shots post staging.

I've got several IPs within a 20km radius so there are economies of scale.

Am I deluding myself in thinking it will make a significant difference in the $ rent achieved?

19. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I'd pay for professional photos but not the staging, unless we're talking big potential weekly rental numbers (more than $1k/week).

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Not sure professional photos of an empty property is worth the investment. Am guessing approx $150-200 for pro shots.