Struggling to find tenants in Redcliffe

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Andrew Best, 28th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I like Domain news and some property information I can't find anywhere else. But it's not as good for listings.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

And it is the listings that people look when they need a rental.

My understanding is that Domain is possibly first port of call in Sydney and Melbourne, but in Brisbane, the first place to look is realestate.com.

To not advertise a Brisbane rental on realestate.com is crazy.

Marg4000 likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Actually, I would go so far as to say that for Brisbane the ONLY place to look is realestate.com.

A Brisbane RE agent or PM who thinks otherwise is a real worry.
    Marg

wylie likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Like anything, Domain works in segments of the market - Sydney or Melbourne aren't one homogeneous market but several markets. Domain is a must for the upper & lower north shores, the Shire & parts of the established east but it would be real-estate for the northern beaches and west/south western suburbs. Melbourne is a similarly segregated market.

5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You mean internet Alpha........the one some time before Beta.....:)

6. dabbler

I thought you just use both....everywhere....plus whatever other local things are used

Some of my PMs use neither, some even use nothing.....they have tenants ready to go.

7. dabbler

Here is a related Question for those in Bris and the Councils that adjoin BCC

How important is the PMs shop front window ?

I always think it is odd when an out of area agent holds any listing for RE even in Syd and Regional areas....prob no one, if you are there, or see a sign out the front, there is no way for a non local to just pop over and show you the place....

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

This is not helpful for the OP, but a comment, this is the typical writing I'd expect to see on a CV, not on a description of a competent PM on Domain. I wonder how long she has owned her agency? Screenshot_2018-06-09-22-10-18.png

9. dabbler

10. Gockie

If it is.... that's frightening.
    :eek::oops:

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I'm not even a real estate agent and I know that not advertising on re. Com and domain only means either the agent is very stupid or bloody stupid. Unless it's a cost thing

Marg4000 likes this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

How many thousand dollars of rent has the OP lost so far by using an "unusual" agent and trying to save some dollars in PM fees, rather than a local agency who probably have a client base they can call on instantly.

Danyool, wylie and Foxdan like this.
  13. Andrew Best

Andrew Best Active Member

Not trying to use an 'unusual' agent here, I've been on both sides of the fence with renting before, and I've always found the franchise agents (LJ Hooker et al) to be a mixed bag - it really is hard to vet which are good, and which treat property management as the lowest priority item in their business.

So my thoughts - which were also supported by other posts in this forum by some of its frequent members - were to find a property manager who primarily did property management. Fees were not part of the qualification.

I'm learning here - unfortunately the hard way. Luckily, for me, this is less than ideal, but not a disaster. I could imagine for others it could be a far worse circumstance to be in. I certainly won't be repeating the mistakes of the past in the future.

14. Andrew Best

Also worth mentioning I found this agent through a glowing recommendation on this forum.

15. Andrew Best

An update for those following from home - the rent is now sitting at 390, and the combination of that, adding some features (AC, built ins, some fly screens), and advertising on RE.com.au seems to have increased interest. Getting regular inquiries, and have an application in currently being processed.

Once someone is locked in I'll have to come and retrospect on all of this, there are some good learnings here that other first-timers could benefit from so that they can avoid learning 'the hard way'.

SarahD, TapTap, Westminster and 2 others like this.
  16. Gockie

It’s probably mostly because you got it on re.com

17. Andrew Best

Yeah I'm kind of getting the message on that one ;)

MWI and Marg4000 like this.
  18. dabbler

I ignore the glowing recommendations, I have found that some people here simply pump up their "buddies" so to speak.

In saying that, of course I have not tried that many (only one in fact), as I usually find them myself, but essentially, recommendation or not, the only way to know is how they act once they have your property, so you sort of have to keep your finger on the pulse at all times, frankly, if your local it would be worth learning the rules yourself if your not a push over & can put up with the tenants.

19. dabbler

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is a continuing learning process, the market moves and changes, businesses close and open or change or staff turn over.

I have and always will maintain, property done well is a very hands on thing, unless you have just one place and managing the costs etc is not worth your time.

hobartchic and Marg4000 like this.
  20. Toilandtrouble

Toilandtrouble Well-Known Member

Good to hear things are moving along. Good learning process for you and those reading. I have found it interesting not being from QLD or having a property up there.

Andrew Best likes this.