Structural dealbreakers for units/apartments

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by jinx77, 10th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jinx77

jinx77 Well-Known Member

I’ve been looking at units and warned not to buy property that has a flat roof and/or is newish.

What about an apartment inside a building with a flat roof? Wouldn’t the repair cost of water damage be minimised if it’s shared with 10 other owners? Can a flat roof affect resale value of an apartment?

And how new is too new for strata type apartments in small blocks? When did construction companies begin to use poor quality materials? Should I avoid things built in late 90s/early 2000s?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Too many variables to generalise :)

Roof: I have apartments with flat roof - not had any real problems with the block. They are relatively easy to fix, although tracking leaks can be harder as there is no roof cavity. I've never seen it affect resale.

There is nothing wrong as such with new construction materials. I used to say anything over a few years old should have either obvious problems show up or have been fixed, although the spate of destructive faults in the 10+ year old apartments in the news lately are a worry. IF you want more safety in this regard, make sure it was constructed (*NOT* developed by) a company that is still around and will be around for a long time to come.

The Y-man