Entertainment & Music Streets of your town ABC

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bob shovel, 9th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Did anyone catch steets of your town last night?

Streets Of Your Town

I missed the first 15 min but i thought it was a great look at Australian homes. Especially looking at the early project homes and estates. It wasn't just the fancy pance houses that are off limits for most but how those houses helped shaped others.

Rosso slammed the mcmansions, which i think is fair enough, they are crap compared to the previous era of homes. Mr Perth Lord Guru Hegney didn't seem to impressed that he flew over to bag out his hood :D lol ... can't recall the suburb - 26km north of Perth, ugly mcmansionville talking up 95%of the block:eek: i found the aerial shots quite confronting and i had to open a window while watching:p

Rosso has done another show on architecture and lives in an awesome original retro house. He also had a couple of big names on the show which was a cool mix. Alaine De Botton is s philosopher who was in oz a few months back and usually has an interesting view on things. Plus Mr grand designs himself made the cut:)

Colin Rice and Perthguy like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'll have to catch up on i-view

Colin Rice likes this.
  3. MichaelMik

MichaelMik Well-Known Member

Yeh I watched it, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good to see my little town Canberra get a mention!

Interesting how they said other countries are looking to Australia to see the latest styles and trends in design, or something along those lines.

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So what I took from this is we are building McMansions that are 10% larger than US homes and they are not well designed, we seem to have an obsession with big homes.

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I thought it was a great show ... and interestingly ... I predict a swing back to smaller homes over the next decade as people realise that 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3-4 living areas) lounge, family, media, rumpus) is just ridiculous for two or three people.

6. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

WattleIdo and bob shovel like this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Did the Druitt get a mention on that show?

We could show the world how to build a suburb that will entice muggings lol.

Colin Rice likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There's a whole series done on SBS about the Druitt, the architecture, the lifestyle, the leisure activities, the culture etc - I think it was called 'Housos'.

Jess Peletier and datto like this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I found it too serious for my liking.

10. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Just watched the show on iview. Did not realise St Ives had that history in terms of its development as a suburb. My parents built there in 1970.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Watching it now. They have those hideous 50s dumps in my area and people are bowling them over and building hideous rows of generic townhouses

12. bob shovel

When will people learn? Surely council's can put some thought in and encourage people to think rather than copy +paste :)

Perthguy likes this.
  13. bob shovel

Second ep on tonight :D

Colin Rice likes this.
  14. Perthguy

It feels like a year since the last episode. I thought it was rubbish but I wasn't going to do a write up until I see part 2. Maybe they will redeem themselves?

15. bob shovel

Really? :eek:

Was it because they poked fun at your mcmansions? :D

16. Perthguy

Blerg! I hate those mcmansions too. No, what I didn't like about episode 1 is that it created a fantasy world where in the 50's and 60's everyone lived in some kind of architect designed mid-century modern utopia. That is rot. I own or have owned 50's and 60's houses and they are every bit as rubbish, generic and cookie cutter as today's generic, cookie cutter rubbish. I have to see episode 2 to confirm but there were some outstanding architect designed houses in the 50's and 60's just at there are now.

I could do a documentary where I compared rubbish from the 50's and 60's to outstanding architecturally designed houses of today. I would create a fantasy where everyone is loving in some kind of architecturally designed utopia now but in the 50's and 60's everyone lived in rubbish housing. Of course that's not true either.

I think it is unfair to compare 50's and 60's outstanding architect designed houses with today's cookie cutter rubbish just as it would be unfair to compare today's outstanding architect designed houses with rubbish from the 50's and 60's. But I am prepared to keep an open mind and see where they go with episode 2 ;)

Joynz, Colin Rice and Nemo30 like this.
  17. bob shovel

Ah yeah i see what you're saying :). Rosso is probably biased as it's his interest.
    I took it more along the lines that the cookie cutters inthe 50's and 60's had a lot more variety and differences but still mass produced. Today's ones are very similar boxes with render and big garage facades :p

It still got me a little excited about architecture and the aussie influence

Perthguy likes this.
  18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Is it Alain de Botton? I love him. I agree with almost everything he says and writes. Worth using up my data streaming this one, thanks.

bob shovel likes this.
  19. bob shovel

He was briefly on last week's ep. He was our in Sydney for a talk he did at the Opera house.
    Have you listened to his interview with tim ferriss? That's where i first heard of him and he blew my mind! I was googling and you tubing his stuff straight away. His school of life stuff is fantastic! Got him on Facebook do i get some daily greatness :)

WattleIdo likes this.
  20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Religion for Atheists is a great read and Status Anxiety is a cracker!