Strategy: Take a Wage Haircut and Move to a cheaper area

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Terry_w, 23rd Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Even better. Increase salary and move to a regional area. It’s what we did. Also held our original PPOR and now rent a brand new house quite cheaply. Cost of living is fantastic and fill up every fortnight or so. The 10 min drive to work is a killer..

Gen-Y, Cia, New Town and 1 other person like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Great post!
    We moved city, keeping similar price resident but to a house instead of 1 bedroom apartment. It's a better lifestyle in general with the only drawback is that it's a less walkable from everywhere (and I can't drive).

In my situation, reduce to part time work to 4 days a week will improve our lifestyle better than moving out even further. Just need to get that salary increase then negotiate part time work :)

Bender12 and Terry_w like this.
  3. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

I have done similar 5 years ago as well - moved from Sydney to Brisbane.
    Keep Sydney Property and rent it out forever - don't qualify for the 6 years exemption.
    Bought a place in Brisbane to live.
    Pretty sweet deal as I didn't need to reduce my income due to job pay is the same for my set skills.
    Food is definitely cheaper, traffic jam is maximum of 20 mins, weather is nicer except for summer.
    Life is a lot more cruising - lay back. :rolleyes:

Empire, Kassy, EN710 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I have lived in Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney. Living in Canberra because my wages are the same but housing is cheaper plus shorter commute.

Kassy, Terry_w and AnDy62 like this.
  5. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Considering doing something similar which is to move back to live in current IP that is Interstate and sell current PPOR which will make me mortgage free (making living a lot cheaper) while hoping my current employer would let me work from interstate for a smaller wage.

Getting another job isn't a big deal but prefer to stay with current employer.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

paulF likes this.
  7. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

people are doing this every month to the coast 2-4 hrs either side of all the major capitals.

this ^ as long as you don't need beachfront the sums work easily. If you do need beachfront you won't be worried about the sums anyway :)

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Well Australia is fringed with coastline the whole way round and we could choose to live in Perth, Adelaide etc. Take your pick. But its not Sydney, or at least we're pretty sure we wouldn't be happier anywhere else despite the savings.

If it was purely financial, the decision would be dead simple. Lifestyle, arguably the best city in Oz etc, comes at a cost. Good things always do.

9. BuyersAgent

I think you nailed it. Personal happiness needs to be defined for yourself. If you are happiest where you are... stay. Simple. If not, move. Also simple. (It might feel hard or scary to those contemplating it but its still a simple equation) I grew up in Sydney and wasn't all that happy on balance (despite all the obvious advantages which I don't deny) so I left and headed to the Shoalhaven a mere 2 hrs from the big smoke. Its been 10 yrs and I am yet to regret it.

10. Terry_w

But would you be any unhappier?

Cmelderis likes this.
  11. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Yup @Terry_w , thanks for that. Will definitely look into that as i don't think it's a good time to sell now in Melbourne and keeping it for longer would most probably generate more Capital growth as per the thread.

Terry_w likes this.
  12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Pretty likely

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Would you mind telling us what it is about Sydney that you love so much? I'm not being sarcastic (for a change), I am genuinely interested in your perspective.

Cmelderis, AndyPandy, EN710 and 2 others like this.
  14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Weather, good schools, multiple nice beaches in close proximity (minutes away), good access to health facilities/hospitals, everything within a few minutes reach - shopping, restaurants etc (walking distance), quite a bit to do on weekends, holiday camps for kids, familiarity, cosmopolitan environment, surrounded by life in general - dont feel cut off,minimal redneck/bogan/insular factor, critical mass of transport and amenities in general, easy to fly in fly out with airport (intl/domestic) not far away etc etc.

I admit not all parts of Sydney are equal (to us). We bought a house in the Hills thinking we needed a yard, white picket fence etc. Lasted all of 10 months. The silence was deafening. Moved back to where we belong to a smaller place with 2 small courtyards. We rent by choice. We could do with more space but I learnt the hard way to be grateful.

Sydney has its challenges...you either love it or hate it.

Last edited: 1st Feb, 2019
    Curoch and Angel like this.
  15. Terry_w

Places other than Sydney have all of those features too.

I guess it comes down to how quickly you would like to stop working. Some are happy to work and stay in Sydney when it would be possible to stop working and move away.

Btw, when i say work I mean being a wage slave. You can have financial independance and keep working.

GX1, EN710 and wilso8948 like this.
  16. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

We moved from Sydney back home to Newcastle for family support. It was always kind of the long term plan (at the very least we would have moved back before the kids started high school), but we accelerated the plan when we had twins.

Fortunately my wife was able to keep her sydney job though - and has been working 2 days in Sydney, 2 from home for 8 years now. She is happy with her work, so no reason to change any time soon.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

17. radson

radson Well-Known Member

and inland too! We moved from balmain to the Blue Mountains and absolutely love it.
    From a 2 bedroom apartment to half an acre.

Angel, GX1, BuyersAgent and 1 other person like this.
  18. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

@Lacrim spend your life slaving away to pay a mortgage and you won't be able to enjoy the very things that you've mentioned.

Angel and Terry_w like this.
  19. BuyersAgent

This is becoming so much more common. I meet people in the Shoalhaven (work and social interactions) almost every week who have held onto their Sydney jobs, moved, and go back 1-2 days per week to keep the boss happy, the telecommuting/part time commutting thing is just becoming more and more the norm. As people get the bravery to ask for flexible work they are getting green lights to go for it because employers want to keep good skilled staff and the productivity goes up not down (plus the employers are realising they can save on renting huge office spaces and cut back to hot desking).

Cmelderis likes this.
  20. Terry_w

Yes, and it should become more and more common. So many people work remotely now so it doesn't really matter where they live.

GX1 likes this.