Strata Fine for Tenant Illegal Parking - Legal?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by money, 23rd Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. money

money Well-Known Member

In NSW: Our tenant parked in the wrong spot in someone else's parking spot one time. The strata issued a fine but they have added this to our quarterly strata bill. We forwarded the fine to our agent who forwarded it to the tenant to pay. The tenant said strata cannot legally impose a fine. Is this correct?

How can the strata legally bill us on the strata levy for the tenant's illegal parking?

Last edited: 23rd Apr, 2020
  2. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Not sure what the laws are on Planet Mars but you can't fine a tenant for this in Queensland.

3. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I would have a constructive discussion with the Martian strata manager to understand under what basis the fine has been issued.

4. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

I don't know. But your tenant sounds like an ******. Nothing will get the neighbours offside quicker then a tenant who doesn't adhere to the rules.
    Surely there is something in the lease about adhering to rules, parking only in allowed parking, etc? If so, Id be pointing out that the behaviour is breaching lease conditions.

iloveqld, spludgey and bunkai like this.
  5. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I had a parking incident last year, but my renter was the victim. The Strata basically washed their hands of it. I'd look at your Strata rules and regulations and see what it says about parking and common property.

Personally I think your PM needs to persuade your tenant to pay it.

Is your tenant usually a bit of a selfish person? They stuffed up yet don't want to take responsibility. That's poor.

6. money

money Well-Known Member

I've just amended my post, state in question is NSW

7. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Did they send a breach first? This says tribunal can order it Parking

When I was living in strata people broke the rules all the time and our managers did nothing, I think because they were lazy and didn’t want to push it with tribunal. We were a shared complex with shops and the shops all had 2 spaces and the units 1. One of the shop owners used to park across his two spots then they’d use a visitor spot as well. Grinded my gears.

8. money

money Well-Known Member

So it looks like firstly the strata needs to serve notice, not just fining the tenant for a 1st offence (and billing us on our strata levy notice as a "carried forward balance"!!). For a 2nd offence they need to apply to the Tribunal to fine the tenant. So it looks like the fine isn't lawful at all.

KayTea and Hetty like this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would draw attention to NSW law (with no details) and put them on notice that this is a issue for legal advice and accordingly put them on notice that after say 14 days if its not withdrawn then you will seek to enforce a order for costs for the legal expenses you incur and action in NCAT. Some retired old mate on strata thinks they are clever. Not. NCAT wont tolerate that.

Does the strata have any legal basis to require you to provide the tenant details ? maybe not. Privacy laws. The by-law may be unenforceable if it exists.
    And then how would they be able to prove that the person who parked is the same as the tenant to make a penalty enforceable ? They have no lawful right to demand identity or rego info. And have no powers to detain property of a person or the person. And a basic tenant defence would be - It wasnt my car. Onus of proof is on the strata.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  10. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Sound like we can park anywhere in the strata, another reason to avoid that. Tomorrow, it is in the news and we can see another drop of property price :D

11. money

money Well-Known Member

Thank you Paul, I will do this :)

12. The Gambler

Yes. When I had my issue, it felt like that. It felt like Strata were weak. As Paul mentions, the strata needed total proof before they were going to do anything at all, And all they could do was issue a breach or the like. They couldn't actually get them to move their car.They said they needed not just photographic evidence, but also my tenant needed to go and confirm with the illegally parked car owner that it was their car.

And even if I had the car in question taken away, if any damage was incurred, then it was my responsibility.

civilised society is a very thin facade...

iloveqld and Hetty like this.
  13. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

So let's stay away from strata to make sure that no demand and they will need to do something

14. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

If you're a unit owner and someone parks on your titled space can you clamp the car or take other action? In the past when I've had this happen to me I've got security to put a CarePark $88 sticker on the offending car.

15. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

They can't. Only a tribunal order can impose a fine in NSW.

So you can ask the OC Secretary if that is that case, assuming you haven't had any correspondence from NSW Dept of Fair Trading or NCAT.

Of course, if your tenant is a serial offender, and suddenly an excavator appears, digging a 1m deep by 1m wide trench just in front of their [your] garage, where their car is parked, as the strata is "investigating a water leak", then you might also require a tribunal order for "remediation of the matter".

If you get my drift...so tell your tenant to pull their head in, and then make peace with the OC Secretary, and all should be good.

craigc and The Gambler like this.
  16. Paul@PAS

Many use overt methods like card or fob entry. Rego plate signs and such to make compliance evident on arrival

17. Paul@PAS

Police can enforce actions like that. The offender can be given a police instruction if detention on propertyoccurs. And penalised on private property.

There is no obligation for a owner to give a tenant a instruction. It assumes they did something unproven doesn't it?

The strata can uphold bylaws but may lack support

It's not your garage to touch. Just to use.

Last edited: 23rd Apr, 2020
  18. Paul@PAS

Not in most states. Its illegal detention prohibited by law. Like kidnapping your annoying neighbour. Penalties only enforceable by state law. Those carpark ticket scams are a joke ...unenforceable. A lie. Super glue it to the body corporate guys car door as a message

They rely on stupidity to pay it. They don't know the owners details. Read the fine print. It says it's a fee for parking. Disguised to look legal like. Crayons....

Sticker..malicious damage

19. money

money Well-Known Member

Have written to strata as per your suggestions. They replied:

The owners corporation has not issued a “parking fine” to the lot owner but, in accordance with the terms and conditions of the by-law, has issued an administrative fee for having to deal with the breach of by-law by the occupant. This is legally permitted. We now look forward to prompt payment of the invoice.

Seems that strata is trying to get around NSW's law of not issuing a "parking fine" with his comment, but on the tax invoice it clearly states "Overstay Penalty Visitor Car Parking"

Strata also replied:
    The tax invoice has been issued in relation to a breach of special by-law 1 by your tenant.

I have also attached a copy of a further email between your tenant and managing agent, and my response to your managing agent yesterday, whereby your tenant admits to continuing to breach the by-law. No further breach notices have been issued but if the breaches continue to occur, the owners corporation will take action.

The simplest way is for you to pay the invoice and recover the cost from your tenant. Please liaise with your managing agent to facilitate this.

The tenant has been in breach of the visitor parking by-laws for the scheme on a number of occasions and was subsequently issued with the attached letter and invoice for $150 (copies were posted to the tenant, placed under the door of the apartment and provided to your managing agent). The invoice remains unpaid, however, the payment of the invoice ultimately is your responsibility as it is charge against your lot. Would you please arrange immediate payment.

The consistent and ongoing poor behaviour of your tenant is causing unnecessary problems and needs to be stopped by you or your managing agent. You must ensure that your tenant complies with the by-laws and resides at the building in a respectful and harmonious manner.

Please be advised that should there be any cause for further correspondence with your tenant due to poor behaviour or non-compliance with the by-laws, the owners corporation will ask that you terminate the tenancy due to breach of the by-laws. We note that the by-laws for the scheme form part of the tenancy agreement.

I am thinking of replying back that their invoice clearly states "Overstay Penalty Visitor Car Parking" not an "administrative fee" as they claim, and reiterate the same points once again about NSW law, this is an issue for legal advice, they must withdraw their tax invoice and the carried forward balance on the levy notice, seeking to enforce a order for costs for the legal expenses we incur and action in NCAT?

20. The Gambler

It must be tough. On the one hand, it seems the Body Corp are trying to get you to pay and may have stuffed up with how they worded it. But on the other hand, the tenant isn't behaving in a suitable manner as they mention this is not an isolated incident.

Have other people paid this fine or is it the first time somebody has paid?

Is there any chance your PM can talk your tenant into paying? Surely they can breach the tenant for this...? Otherwise your tenant can just go around doing what they like and you're responsible. That's not right.

Rugrat, Stoffo and wylie like this.