Steve keen latest update. 2017 recession, 20-70% drop in house prices

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Barny, 30th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think I have actually posted a couple of economic giants that got it wrong, I don't know whether I can be bothered chasing these up.... take my word for it, they rarely get it right.

However, these people make a living from doing this stuff, same as Terry Ryder etc, year in year out I am sure he has many followers hanging on to every word.

All to their own.

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

And the newspapers/websites love to print the alarming headlines.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

now we can put them all into one thread to make it easier to go back and compare.

SOULFLY3 and MTR like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

.... but sometimes its important to pay attention to this and its up to us to determine market sentiment, this plays a major part in performance of property. If we start reading doom and gloom reports on Syd for example dig deeper, is there any truth to this?? At least this is how I play it, there are other signs that will also determine which way property will go but this is one not to ignore IMO

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I do wonder how, if at all this effects him when he puts his head on the pillow at night realising he was the catalyst for influencing people to not buy and as a result have missed out or chose a lessor option, or is it 100% onus on the members of the public affected for being "gullible"?

6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Usually it's just the general "Australia market to crash" like it's all going to happen at the same time.
    Click bait.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It was not just Keen's predictions, during 2007/2008 it was market sentiment/media coverage GFC that impacted on the market, many were in fear mode not sure how these circumstances were going to impact on property prices so investors in the main were sitting on their hands doing nothing

8. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

If house prices in Australia crash, cash in USD, gold and silver will not turn to crap.
    I can already buy property in Perth 35% cheaper in USD than in 2011. (620k then against 420k now) wait a few years and it might be 50%.

muller23 and Perthguy like this.
  9. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

I wonder, how many of you - property investors lived through a 70% house prices crash? I know, I did.

10. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

Anyone in the QLD market should be pretty well versed. Hundreds of properties on the Gold and Sunshine Coast retreated 10-25% from 2007 peaks. A decade later some of the higher priced stuff is still sitting below previous sales. Brisbanites will remember what people were paying for cookie cutter 3 and 4 bedroom project homes at Northlakes long before Costco and IKEA, now that was a BOOM. :p

Onthehouse.com.au: Your Home for Property Research

Plenty more examples if you can be bothered digging around for more than 5mins. Our current PPOR sold for 730k in 2007. Three years later we purchased it after a bit of low balling for 590k.

Last edited: 31st Jul, 2016
  11. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

I see 30%, I don't see 70%.
    I guess the only ones who can tell what it feels to be in a 60-70% draw down are those who purchased in some mining towns and still hold. Everyone else thinks that it can never happen elsewhere. :(
    But it does happen, I have seen it.

12. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

You have to admit that outside of these resource towns, 70% is a pipe dream to even the most bearish commentator. That's the problem with economists like Keen, if he just stepped back and focused on the fundamentals then people might have actually paid some attention.

Perthguy and Colin Rice like this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Are you happy to share where you saw losses of 70%, that wasn't a mining town?

And wherever it was, has it come back?

My parents' house (Coorparoo) had an appraisal of about $1.1m to $1.2m before the GFC hit. That was academic really, but even using the $1.1m appraisal, we couldn't sell it for $940k just over three years ago. Ended up selling for just short of $1m a year later. I would guess it might be back up to pre-GFC value now.

Last edited: 31st Jul, 2016
  14. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I was thinking of the owner occupiers who may have been spooked at the time and have missed out on the recent upswing in Sydney and Melbourne. When I think about it we are all in the same boat, just making different decisions so its no ones fault but your own if you procrastinate and miss out and likewise if you get your timing wrong!!!

MTR likes this.
  15. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

I'm paying attention. :)
    I don't see a problem with an economist like that. He is the one who is focusing on fundamentals.
    And he is right, the only problem I see is the time space, that is the hardest to predict. I'm waiting for the same outcome as he is - waiting for a crash. And we will get there sooner or later.

16. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Yep. I didn't loose, but it was painful. Real life example, bought a 1-bedroom apartment in Moscow (Russia) (late 1997 for 38k) it dropped to 12k at the start of 1999, sold it for 49,5k mid 2004. The biggest city in the country - no mining town. :)
    It happens, it just happens.:( It can happen everywhere - be ready.

17. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

He seems to get his predictions on housing wrong here, but i wouldn't discount him entirely.

Steve Keen is well known in Australia for being an economist who unsuccessfully predicted a housing crash - he is much better known in the rest of the world (teaches in London currently) for being one of the few economists who predicted the global financial crisis.

Terry_w likes this.
  18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Where was that?

19. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

I would.

He has been waffling on for years about house crashes.

He sold his own house and since then the prices have gone through the roof, he is still bitter about it so continues to waffle on hoping one day he will be right. Even if they do drop they still will be higher than what he sold for

Darren A, Colin Rice and Azazel like this.
  20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

What a dingus.
    Imagine if his students knew about his property predicting past.