Stay safe everyone

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 11th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

He got permission to get back in to assess. Everything apart from house is totaled. Considers they are lucky on that score. Even when they move back it will be hard as all their winter firewood has gone obviously. One aspect I hadn't considered. May seem minor but if you are freezing....

Also reports of low life scouting out properties.

Anne11, The Y-man, Islay and 3 others like this.
  2. SatayKing

Police have advised Eden residents to leave if they are not confident or able to defend their properties.

Lizzie likes this.
  3. SatayKing

If true utter, utter, utter pieces of......

"Residents in fire-impacted Gippsland communities have been put on notice over unscrupulous door knockers requesting sham donations for the Victorian bushfires relief effort.

Police said on Sunday they were aware of rumours of scammers knocking on doors in Bairnsdale, Metung, Lakes Entrance and the surrounding areas, which many residents have fled, raising concerns over lost funds and the possible targeting of empty homes."

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

There's all sort of reports of scumbags rorting donation money, and looting from houses where people have evacuated through SA, VIC, NSW.... unbelievable....

The Y-man

5. The Y-man

Air is bad in Melb today ~~ clocking 275 micrograms per cubic metre of PM2.5 .... although Canberra is like 440?
    As a comparison Bangkok and Beijing at 160....

I have just emptied my HEPA vaccum cleaner, taken the hose of and running it in the room .....

The Y-man

6. SatayKing

Sorry to learn that @Y-man.

Today Canberra has gone from absolutely appalling yesterday to merely very unhealthy today.

In Civic it's 286 AQI, Florey (North of Civic roughly) 359, Monash (South) 441.

However it almost feels refreshing in comparison with the last few weeks.

geoffw likes this.
  7. The Y-man

Found some PM2 masks in the house from sanding/plaster work..... reno-ing does have its benefits :D

The Y-man

8. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Brief update - after hosting 3 stranded families 2 nights later we had 1 night evacuated from home, the fire came within a few hundred metres, but our street and the nearby ones are ok. We have heard of a few more friends who lost homes or had close calls. So thankful that today it's raining. Immediate danger over but fires in the region still abound. Have had loads of friends, family, clients, sales agents and BA colleagues reaching out to check we are ok. Thanks all. A few pics on my Instagram for those interested.

hdb, Simon Hampel, LibGS and 5 others like this.
  9. SatayKing

10. The Y-man

SatayKing likes this.
  11. SatayKing

Apart from getting P2s which are seemingly as rare as hen's teeth and are just as limited after a while, there is little people can do it seems. And it appears the current situation will continue for some time.

There were a few spot fires to the South of the ACT and one caused by a lightning strike in Namadgi National Park yesterday which is under control.

A long, long effort ahead.

And I don't give a rats about the politics. Most have been found wanting although I do consider the Premiers of NSW and Victoria have mostly been effective. Stand aside unless asked a question and let people get on with the necessary tasks.

Bunbury and Lizzie like this.
  12. SatayKing

Bother. After a day of some degree of relief, good ol' smokey has returned. At "only" unhealthy levels.

I suspect it may result in long-term health problems across the country for many.

13. SatayKing

For FS! Heard the ACT Rural Fire Service has been instructed not to use sirens or light when attending as they have not been trained in teh required driving techniques. It's all about safety.

I get it at one level but....... Really?!

Lizzie likes this.
  14. SatayKing

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Couple next to me. Their usual routine is to sit outside to have morning tea or whatever. Saw them today...........

with P2 masks on.

WattleIdo and The Y-man like this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Does it make you want to P2?

The Y-man and SatayKing like this.
  16. SatayKing

No idea if it is due to the delayed affects of smoke or Canberra being Canberra but the number of ambulance call outs this morning appears to be quite high. (looking at Emergency Services website.)

The Adaminaby complex fire is quite close to the ACT border too. Around 10 km or so,
    With temps expected to be in the 40C and high winds forecast it is going to get bloody interesting.

Not out of the woods yet by a long chalk here or in other areas.

17. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Just being a little 'optimistic', they seem to be on top of those fires for now anyway, and some less extreme temperatures for the coming week. Have been making sure I'm at home on the dodgy days but only for the pets etc. If a fire comes over the hill, it's all in the car and shoot through.
    Everyone needs time to digest the massive heartbreaking damage.
    We had one or two days of choking smoke -aircon still pumping it through. If it's been like that the whole time in Canberra, I feel for you.
    Having said that, if there was any place that should get choked, ...

willair and SatayKing like this.
  18. SatayKing

It goes like this. We is responsible for only three of the buggers. It's you mob who are responsible for the rest of the seagulls which fly in, crap all over the place and fly out again. Will you please stop feeding the bloody seagulls? Please.

Kassy likes this.
  19. SatayKing

Meant to add but Wi-Fi did its thing.

Take care @WattleIdo as I'm sure you will.

Having gone through the fires here in 2003, I have a similar plan. Not many places around here are "safe" though :)

WattleIdo likes this.
  20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Straight to the Elvis Festival in Parkes. Looks like low 30s for a week plus a touch of rain.