Starting out...

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by JeremyH, 15th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JeremyH

JeremyH New Member

Hi guys,
    This seems like a really great forum of generous people.
    Advice please:
    I'm on day 1 of a 3 day 'upsell' course run by Steve McKnight, with many esteemed guests including Peter Koulizos and Cherie Barber.
    I have a good instinctive feeling about Steve and his friends.
    I love to transform old bombs, so Cherie was appealing to me in more than one way.
    But, after losing a truckload of money to The Henry Kaye a number of years ago, which I hold some shame about, and having a comparatively bad feeling about Dymphna, I am wary of spending more thousands of dollars to get started.
    I have a trade background, but am very green about due diligence, market research etc. so would love to hear if anyone has sage advice on how to get in to investing sensibly, conservatively and frugally! One or two must-have books for example??
    Also, advice please on the possible effects of Chinese Govt. changes towards their investors keeping money IN China next year and its possible effect on our market.
    AND the huge global debt bubble we are sitting on, which dwarfs 1929.
    Sorry this is a long intro, but very interested to tap into your wisdom.
    Thanks,
    Jeremy (Melbourne.)

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Some more of your history would be good. Eg how many successful renos? Otherwise you seem to have latched on to every major 'theme' bring spruiked. Your all big picture, no details. Which is the reverse of what should concern you if your renoing old places in melb.

The Y-man and Foxdan like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Hey @JeremyH

Sorry to sound harsh, but I agree with @Trainee - you might be a seminar junky!

Of course if you have "got your money's worth" (i.e. made more than you paid) then great - but do reflect on the value of these.

Having said that, I understand that for some people, the seminar format (interactive audio/visual) is much more effective for them than reading (non-interactive visual) or listening to a podcast or watching a video (non-interactive visual).

I suggest you go to one or both of the 2 monthly PC meetups in Melbourne,

Networking & Meetups

or you (and anyone else) are welcome to sit down for an "ad-hoc" meetup with me

VIC - Ad-Hoc meetup (Melbourne East)

The Y-man