Staging - Agent says don't bother?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by smokyjoe, 9th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Phoebe S

Phoebe S Member

Not sure about the skylights - some buyers don't like them. Could you increase light in some other way? Change the window fittings? Remove tinting if it's there? Trim excess tree folage outside? What about using mirrors to reflect light? Change your light bulbs to bright white LED?

I would definitely get a stylist in....they will be able to add illusion to your existing furniture to brighten and open everything up. They could be the key component to making your house the one the buyers remember on a busy Saturday morning of viewings. Unfortunately, there are a lot of agents who don't understand or appreciate the effect of staging a property.

2. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

After finishing a reno, we styled our place. Agree with @Barny and @LukeR , allows people to 'see' the place and how to live in it's space.
    A good stylist also knows how to best show off the colours and spaces with the furniture they will use. The amount of furniture a stylist has is huge and I know that I would get sick of looking at furniture before I finished buying the furniture for 1 or 2 rooms, let alone a whole place.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Turramurraguy

Turramurraguy New Member

I am in process of getting stuff ready for styling a new house. Go to a few display homes and see the styling there. The key to styling is to show what can fit in in a neutral style so that it does not distract from house. Amazing what you can find in opshops and on gumtree if you live in the right area and have some time.

4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Skylight and stage .

When we sold our last PPOR , one of the main complaints was the kitchen was too dark and you needed to put the lights off and everyone wanted natural light , except the buyers who where from the UK ....

Cliff

5. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Have you checked the costs of staging. That's OK if you can get the current styles and have the time. Part of the cost with any service is their expertise in that area. Would you be reselling the furniture after its use?

6. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Ikea have some great fabrics if you're going down that path, and decent large prints too. A large decorative mirror will also work wonders. Don't forget to add a few plants (real or high quality fake ones), they are my favourite for softening a space.

Eric Wu likes this.
  7. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Just buy some stuff yourself and stage it.