St george eelease equity difficulties

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by andy ngo, 25th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

Does the pricing of loans depend on the total loan amount or does it also depend on the loan splits etc?

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

with most lenders, splits dont matter, with wbc group, splits can reduce the available discount historically

ta
    rolf

Pash81 likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

That is exactly what we do. Our PI insurer has a specific policy that says DONT. The client then asks for one from the FPs. Refuse that too as they are not asked to give financial advice on what to buy and the income or growth prospects. And often they want a letter that says shares when they tell us they want another IP. That would be a lie.

Obtaining a sophisticated investor letter is even harder. Our accountants PI insurer says not to.

This is why lenders have tougher rules. They have seen and learned.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Why is this even an issue. Sophisticated investor is standard test. As someone who has prepared their tax returns the income test is a yes/no answer. I cant understand the insurers concern.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

The investments could be in a number of entities, held off shores etc, as well as able to be liquidated and moved so money disappears overnight (i.e. may not be legit long term) etc.

Friend had a reasonably hard time getting the letter for his car loan.

The Y-man

6. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

I'm currently going through the equity release process through STG. Will report back once anything is finalised

7. Rolf Latham

If you are a 90 % no lmi spesh borrower, then your experience wont be normal.

got a 2500 k cash out with WBC group a little while back for a spesh borrower, didnt even want a letter or statement of advice, whereas last week did a 110 k cash out for a non spesh and they wanted letters from accountant or planner and a DNA sample.

ta
    rolf

Dean Collins likes this.
  8. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

My experience so far is quite different from this

9. andy ngo

andy ngo Well-Known Member

can you provide more details?

10. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

So finally got a message from the broker that the loans are approved after almost 4 weeks of application.

I will be cashing out approx $200k equity from 3 properties. The bank asked the reason for this and I just said that I want to invest. Bank came back and wanted the exact breakdown of this amount. The broker just suggested to breakdown the amount for shares, super and some renovations. So I prepared a spread sheet with some individual asx share codes ($120k, super contributions $50k and $30k renovations), sent it to the bank but they came back and asked for a letter from a financial planner.

At this stage I told them that I'm a CPA myself . (which I actually am but have never done tax work, so not a registered tax agent, don't have public practice lisence or don't have a financial planning license.)

Bank came back and asked for a signed letter that I manage my own investment plan, with the details of breakdown along with a copy of my CPA certificate. Sent everything to them and the loans finally approved.

But what the bank have done is that they will charge me investment rates for $170k and OO rate for $30k (which I told them I'll spend on renovations). My broker didn't tell me this before I gave them the breakdown. Otherwise I would have bumped the renovation amount and also would have said that I'm planning to buy a 50k car to get cheaper OO rates.

Twisterflake and Terry_w like this.
  11. andy ngo

Hi pash

Thanks for sharing your story and sorry to hear that. That is actually a leason for us!

Jusr wonder does Stgeorge release equity to your bank when the loan approve?

My broker told me that they only release equity after I signed the contract with new investment property!!!.

The dangerous thing is if they dont release equity i may lose the deposit and force to cancel the contract which is worse!!

12. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

In certain instances you can get the equity released, but it'll need to be signed off by senior credit.

13. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

I think the bank will just release the money into my bank account.

14. andy ngo

How much do we have to pay for that"? Where can i find senior credit"? Thank you

15. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Your broker will need to discuss with them directly

16. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

I've also got STG to do few different loan splits, each with an offset account linked as well, just in case i do want to invest money.

17. Rolf Latham

170 k Reno ;)

Smells like quotes and fixed price contract for that slightly higher rate and thus flexibility for the use of the cash.

You got off lightly it sounds like.

Nothing wrong with being honest and paying a few more bucks in tax deductible interest I expect

Ta

Rolf

18. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

STG have a $100 settlement fee. Can someone please confirm that weather this $100 is per property or per loan split? If I have 10 loan splits against 3 properties, do I have to pay $1000 in settlement fees or $300?

Thanks

19. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

Anyone?

20. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Your broker?