St George bank no longer lending to hard working Aussie expats

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Dean Collins, 2nd Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

'ere's a tip....call up and find what the break cost is?

I just moved 2 away from CBA to SunCorp they were fixed at 4.79%...just locked in for 3.99% for three years. The savings was still over 1.5k even after breaking.....

ashish1137 likes this.
  2. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

I'd rather chew nails than reward them with immediate profit on a fixed loan :)

This said....what was Suncorp offering you on a 5 year fixed as this is my preferred length of time. (and yes we'll be in the market for a lender 'apart' from St George once they finally come back with an official turn down).

3. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Whether the bank makes a fat fee or not really is irrelevant, all that matters is whether its stilll worthwhile finanxially for you to take that route. Theres no room for emotions.

Ultimately youre a C level executive so you woild likely know this already, you have to apply some of the clinical and clear thinking you do at your job to your personal financialsituation too imo

Terry_w, Joynz and Dean Collins like this.
  4. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Even if Suncorp was offering 2% fixed for 5 years - the problem you have is that they don't do do non resident lending.

At this stage you need to weather the storm until you have more options. I would also get your crossed loans sorted before committing yourself to any further debt.

5. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Thanks I wasn't aware Suncorp doesn't lend to expats.

And no need to pay a break fee on the St George fixed loans, just leave them as they are, on a pretty good rate at the moment until 2017 and 2020.

I have enough cash/variable redraw to put down 30% and take out an entirely separate 5 year fixed with another lender.

Plenty of other lenders even if Suncorp doesn't lend to Australian citizens living overseas.