Squatting Laws..

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by willair, 31st Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

3. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I was going to post the same link.

I think the developer is overly opportunistic; however I do wonder why the previous owner/s (not clear from the article I read) had no interest in maintaining or selling the property when the protected tenant died.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

interesting.

Under NSW law all that has to be done is to take possession of the property for 12 years or more, this possessory title can then be converted into legal title. There are a few hurdles to meet, but this is the first case that I have seen happen.

kierank, larrylarry and bmc like this.
  5. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

6. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Given the property wasn't in his name when it was rented out, I wonder who is legally entitled to the rent?

7. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

I just wonder how the land rates came to be settled by the developer?

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The decision makes some sense and goes far beyond the issue of 12 years...47 years earlier the owner died. I didnt see any comment in case regarding where rent went for the time it was tenanted. You would have thought someone would have acted earlier when the rent stopped.

Germany (and Swiss too I think) have a similar law for grave sites and it is frequently used. If the occupants family dont maintain the site then the site is available for re-use. Hence many germans maintain a grave site with amazing gardens as a way to ward off such issues. Adolf Hitlers sisters (Paula) grave in Berchtesgaden is a good example. It is also occupied by more recent persons who covered her name.

9. Paul@PAS

Paid the council arrears I guess. That means council have no rights to sell. Its one of the conditions Terry mentioned. Another is land tax. And legal fees....I bet he paid well in the end after legal fees on top

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

And where were the rates notices sent? I can’t ask anything about rates or utilities in someone else’s name. How did he change the address for these things?

Regardless of whether the owner’s family left it empty or not, this judgement really stinks.

KayTea, bmc and Brady like this.
  11. Paul@PAS

I would argue a lot has been spent on lawyers to address an "ownership interest" which the court has upheld.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

• Rates - who needs a bill, anyone can pay them (keep proof) - mailing address would have been c/- Inner West Council
    • Upkeep of property - he could prove that
    • Land Tax - last traceable owner died before Land Tax Act came into being so never registered

JohnPropChat likes this.
  13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Can you believe this guy's brass? Sure, he spent money on it but it seems the family didn't even know anything about it. To me, it's wrong. Perhaps letting him keep 20 years of rental profits, rather than the whole house, would've been fair.
    Ashbury has been a nice little suburb for a long time - lived there in early 90's. Who wouldn't have wanted a fixer-upper in Ashbury in 1998!
    Would like to know more about previous tenant's links.

qak likes this.
  14. Terry_w

the person in possession.

15. Terry_w

Courts can only apply the law.

Phantom likes this.
  16. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Putting aside specific ‘squatter laws’, the doctrine of adverse possession is long standing common law right going back centuries. In property, possession still is 9/10ths of the law.

kierank and Paul@PAS like this.
  17. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

18. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

I've seen this sort of thing happen in the UK.

I used to work for Manchester City Council in the 70's and the council had made a reserve for a future road in the 50's. Around 20 years later they finally got round to start on the road and had to buy parts of their own land back because people backing onto the reserve had moved their fence line to extend their back gardens

19. Paul@PAS

This case is more a lesson about why you should have a will and attend to estate administration after death

The transcript may be a good tool for use by the ATO to commence audit proceedings based on a range of factors. The very nature of the acquisition may well not be a CGT asset and for many year was reported as business income and expenditure. A isolated profit making activity / enterprise perhaps ? And poor record retention.

Last edited: 1st Nov, 2018
    larrylarry likes this.
  20. Terry_w

What would be the cost base of the property?

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.