Square (vs. rectangular) floorplans

Discussion in 'Development' started by aelix, 25th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aelix

aelix Member

Hi all

I'm trying to map out how I would fit two houses onto a 725m2 corner block (blank slate) and I have mapped out the setbacks etc. to give me a sense for the likely building envelopes. Because I want to subdivide asymmetrically I'm going to end up with one 'normal' shaped lot (roughly 11.5m x 17m after setbacks) but the other is going to be more like 14m x 14m. Both houses will be 2 storeys.

Assuming I need all of the 14x14 to build the house that I want it's going to end up being quite square. Is there any reason most residential lots are rectangular rather than square other than practicalities around how Councils like to cut up land? And are there any fundamental downsides to a square floorplan?

Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Blocks aren't square.

Most project home designs are for the most common type of blocks and are easily replicated utilising the DCP and maximizing the use of the block - a square house will not utilize/fit on a square block once you take the required setbacks into consideration.

3. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Inner city blocks are typically rectangular because of the way larger original homesites were subdivided and sold off and then re-subdivided on and on and I assume that format just flowed on into new developments because of convention.. I would assume the only potential problem with a square plan is natural light to the internal ( great opportunity to get creative and do an internal courtyard ) but Interested to hear any architects/designers comments?

4. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Rectangular blocks are more 'effiecient" in an estate subdivision, with greater yield (Councils's don't subdivide by the way, they just approve and process consents)
    You might find a rectangular house may pose different design challenges (efficiency and internal circulation), having said that mine is rectangluar, but unconventional and contemporary (as an architect I get the most out of my space) So it's going to depend on your design and motivations

5. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Block shapes are actually getting squarer in order to continue to offer double garage on a small lot.

However to answer your question the reason they are normally rectangle is but reducing frontage to the road you get more lots in with less lineal meters of road and services. This makes the subdivision cheaper per block. Simples.