Spriggy kids debit card

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Simon Hampel, 29th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Get the kids aftrepay and zip on the same debit card. Teach them about leverage.

inertia likes this.
  2. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

WOW...... they get to spend the whole $2 in one go !

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

... which is kind of the point:
    1. give them an appreciation of how much things cost (by letting them spend some of their money on whatever they choose)
    2. let them understand what happens when they spend too much money (they can't buy the things they want)
    3. get them in the habit of saving up for things they want (waiting until they can actually afford it rather than relying on credit)
    There is nothing a 7yo needs to spend money on - she occasionally buys herself something from the canteen as an extra treat, and she did buy herself a soft toy at the zoo a few months back, which has become her favourite. There's nothing else she really asks for at this age.

My 10yo son saves his money (plus money he might get from his grandparents for his birthday) for computer games that he wants to buy - but he also waits until they are on special (Steam) so he can get more for his money.

We do expect them to buy birthday / Christmas presents for each other as well - but budget is typically no more than $10.

Redwing likes this.
  4. rapr

rapr Member

Is CUA still one of the best options? It’s time I taught my 14yr old about money

5. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Past time, I'd say.

When they are over 14 the bank makes the card a M/C debit so they can tap and pay with card, or use the phone app. Both my kids still have the same two CBA accounts, no fees, CBA app is excellent.

6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Hand over a year's worth of pocket money and say "That's it" and see how they deal with it. :eek:

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Is it just me......I started yery early on, like beginning primary school. You work, you get money, you sit on your hands you get nada. I used to supply basic needs, school supplies, food, shelter, basic clothing (X pairs of jeans, etc). Everything else was a 'want'. If you want it, you work and buy it.

8. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    :D

Lil Skater, bmc and freyja like this.
  9. XBenX

XBenX Well-Known Member

We use Spriggy - it’s free if you have a NAB account too.

The look on the kids faces when they received their Spriggy card was magic. The behavioural nudges/gamification of chores around the house are worth any effort/cost to sign up :)

10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

No apps but $0 fees

Great Southern Bank Youth eSaver Account

Online savings account for newborns to 17‑year‑olds.
    On balances up to $5,000
    2.40%p.a.

11. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Be careful paying kids for things that are part of normal life. What happens when they get a partime job and refuse to do anything around the house? Money won't be an incentive then. Are you happy to do everything for them?

I think kids should do chores the same as everyone else in the family. Getting dressed is part of being a responsible person.

Money for kids can be tricky and everyone has different ideas. I grew up poor and have always been a good saver and not a spender.
    My daughter is good with money. My son is hopeless.
    I think the card would be good for teens as that is the reality these days. They need to learn how it all works.
    One poster here gave her kids pocket money. Whatever they banked she would match. If they took money out though they had to give her the same amount. Love that. Great disincentive. Behaviour modification doing its stuff!!

Redwing likes this.
  12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I don't mind that....although I don't like giving kids pocket money just for existing.

At ages 8 & 10 we were running a skating rink, and the kids had jobs, paid the same as any other junior employee. The deal was that they didn't HAVE to work, but if they wanted to earn money, this was their best bet, and they both worked a few shifts a week. Half of what was earned had to go into an account they were not allowed to touch until age 18. One embraced this, the other did not, and constantly wanted to spend her money. The one that did embrace it, had a house deposit by the time she left school in year 12. What really impressed her, was one day she overheard the mother of another girl that worked with her (we'd moved on, and she was working part-time retail at the time) complaining that she didn't have the money to fix her car, which was only around $500 at the time.....and here's this 18 year old, with thousands of $$ in the bank, that she'd earned and saved all by herself. It was a powerful lesson in real life compounding.

Travelbug and Redwing like this.
  13. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

as a parent to a 4 year old, this thread is gold, thanks guys!

many good ideas!
    for a kid, this is epic, not many adults can do this.

14. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

There are base chores that the kids have to do regardless, and then there are additional chores that attract bonus money. Eg my kids have been getting themselves up and ready for school themselves since early primary school. They all make their own lunches for school, pack/unpack dishwasher, feed the animals, tidy up, etc etc. Each year the expectation of what they contribute to the household increases.

Travelbug likes this.
  15. Adz1

Adz1 Member

I recently went through this with my 12yo.. ended up just going with a debit card through my bank (Suncorp) instead of spriggy mainly due to fees. The card I got her was an EFTPOS card as opposed to VISA or MC (needs to be 13 or 16 , can’t remember) , therefore, can’t be overdrawn or used on OS sites.

As an aside, you can’t add any card to your apple wallet until you’re 13. It’s an Apple condition , not the banks, so she won’t be able to use watch or phone to pay until then.

inertia likes this.