Split house into 2 units

Discussion in 'Development' started by Jemima, 23rd Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jemima

Jemima New Member

Hi
    We have recently bought a 5 bed house in Gosford. The house layout is basically:
    - 3 bed, 1 bath, living and kitchen upstairs, and
    - 2 bed, 1 bath, living and kitchen downstairs.
    I understand the previous owner let it out as 2 units by locking off one internal door, then the upstairs unit using the front door leading to hallway/stairs and the downstairs unit accessing via the back door.
    The previous owner seems to have done this dual occupancy illegally but we’re keen to understand if we can set it up in a legal way.
    We’re interested in either getting dual occupancy and letting out as 2 units, or even sub-dividing and strata titling as 2 units to sell.
    Do you know if this is possible? What do we need to consider in this process? Should we just call the council? What professionals can help e.g builder, town planner, surveyor etc?
    Thanks!

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

My first step would be to phone the council to get a rough idea of whether proposed plans are feasible.

Engaging professionals will incur costs whether successful or not, so best to find out first if you are in with a chance.
    Marg

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

There are a LOT of these non-approved set ups on the Central Coast. To avoid trouble with Council I would recommend you engage a Private Certifier in the first instance. He/she will be able to advise you quickly and for not a lot of money.

Sackie likes this.
  4. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Is downstairs legal height? If so look at converting from class 1A to class 1B building.