NSW South Coast - Shoalhaven

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Azazel, 6th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ryno

Ryno Well-Known Member

Whats peoples opinions further south around ulladulla batemens bay etc.

2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

It all depends what you are looking for and how much you want to spend.

Personally I sections of Bomaderry and Nowra CBD as residential investments but like everyone will advise, it also comes down further to specific streets and types of properties.

For example, normally I would not be interested in the below but is size and potential could make it interesting:

79 Albatross Road West Nowra NSW 2541 - House for Sale #121727466 - realestate.com.au

3. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

Hey Ryno, there's some beautiful country all the way down the Coast. We're at Berry and absolutely love it - although I'm probably biased because I grew up here. Kangaroo valley is also Devine and considerably cheaper than Berry - very scenic. Milton is lovely, in fact all the way down to Pambula is lovely. Depends on your budget and distance to Sydney I guess.

4. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

If I had the option to move there I wouldn't hesitate. I've got an ip at Shellharbour, more urban but I love it there. Although I've only briefly passed through I liked the feel of Nowra. Jervis Bay is one of my favourites but I also loved Eden in a big way. As stated, depends on whether or not you need work etc. If hubby wasn't a mountain adrenalin junky I'd be there now instead of sweating it out in NE Vic.

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Is your IP near the Killalea State Park?

6. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I wish! I'm on the other side, Mount Warrigal.

larrylarry likes this.
  7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Prices have moved a bit in Ulladulla.
    Got a friend looking for something in Mollymook. There are still some well priced places around too.
    Too many tourists though ;)

Mick Butterfield likes this.
  8. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Am noting that agents who have sold me property in 2541 are not only emailing letters but are phoning to see if I am interested in selling.

Two last week and last month

larrylarry likes this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Me too. I had the agent calling regularly when the market picked up and they were trying to get more listings.
    They're sending me "personalised" market updates in the mail now as well.
    Expecting the low number of listings to lead to increases again.

Chilliblue likes this.
  10. propinv3st0r

propinv3st0r New Member

How is the property market around Huskisson & Vincentia? I used to take the family camping
    every January at Huskisson Beach Tourist Resort until the weekly tariff of $500 per week became a bit too expensive and that was 10 years ago!!

11. Phil82

Phil82 Well-Known Member

I just read in a report that popped up in my email by John Lindeman that he reckons a suburb called Tomakin is set for good price growth in 2016. What do you guys reckon?

12. SK Investments

SK Investments Well-Known Member

Wherever the wind takes me, currently Brisbane
    Shhh. Don't tell everyone!
    I recommend a trip there, check out Barlings beach.

Last edited: 26th Jan, 2016
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

There has been a fair bit of growth there, they were popping up on best performing place lists a while ago.
    Still some good buys around St Georges Basin.

14. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Having spent the last 2 days getting my 4 kids to school (with our youngest starting out and our eldest moving schools) I just caught up on the last 15 posts here and I feel torn. I have enjoyed the secret status of south coast real estate for the last few yrs, but I know this cannot last - too many good factors too close to Sydney too low a price base. Yes, it is happening. Just be careful posting live deals some of us are working on those! You still need to pick your locations carefully. You need to be aware many spots on south coast are higher risk for bushfire, or flood, or termites, or other factors. The best pockets are generally small and tightly held. You still need to be careful and realistic about balancing things like cash flow vs projected growth. Yields often remain on the lower side even when vacancies are super low. As such you will get a tenant, but cannot always ask top dollar as you would in a mining town etc. The benefit it a much broader population base including retirees, commuters, telecommuters and freelance types so risk of high vacancy seems really low, good houses don't sit vacant long. The far south coast is only just waking up now so represents a real opportunity for the smart money but it can be a long time between ripples so need to get a deal that makes sense for individual circumstances. Value add potential is key I think, plus ability to cater for the already present and continually coming market demand of boomers.

Doris, ellejay and SK Investments like this.
  15. larrylarry

Thanks Matt. Your post comes as a affirmation and also a warning... Makes a lot of sense.

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I agree.
    There are still some good buys around, but you need to know what you're looking for.
    Think the big one will be the retirees looking to the coast in the next couple of years. Again.

17. larrylarry

Is Grannyflat popular in the south coast?

18. BuyersAgent

Yes although many of the existing ones aren't approved. Valid strategy if you have the right property. Folks don't want to be jammed in like in Sydney so the block needs to provide good amenity and some separation for both rental parties to live happily ever after.

19. larrylarry

Thanks. Sounds like central coast where some grannyflats aren't approved. Certainly, over 650 blocks would be ideal.

20. BuyersAgent

Yes and good side access or corner even better. Consider dual occ strategy too but needs bigger blocks and a set of site requirements to make it work but has the advantage of larger potential equity gain whereas gf is more a cashflow play.