NSW South Coast houses

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by DeJ, 20th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DeJ

DeJ Well-Known Member

Sorry, I posted this in another thread before I found this section:
    I read on here that sometimes it's good when there is a bad or incomplete ad for a house.
    This one has just come up, it says 4 bedroom but it's actually 5 bedrooms - that's a lot of house for that price!
    Rang up, all of the inside has been renovated, 3 bedrooms upstairs, downstairs developed into 2 bedrooms and a living area, newish kitchen. I went past and had a sticky beak, looks like a quick paint with a modern colour scheme would update the outside and bring it up to comparable 5 bedroom houses. I see potential :)
    Walked down the walkway, looks like a decent backyard too:
    45 Edmund Street, Sanctuary Point, NSW 2540

2. DeJ

DeJ Well-Known Member

696m2 is a decent block.
    Is anyone familiar with the granny flat options in this area?
    I know plenty of people have them, but not sure if they're approved.

3. DeJ

DeJ Well-Known Member

Bueller? Bueller?
    Anyone... anyone?

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Ad says 5 bedrooms.
    Marg

5. DeJ

DeJ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Marg!
    It has indeed been updated.

6. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

There are numerous options for GF builders depending on what your goals are including One Stop homes in Sth Nowra and Cubitts in Warilla all the way to custom local builders for a higher spec. Are you sure that house is legal height underneath? Might be a 3 bedder with a lot of rumpus rooms?

7. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Price looks ok. Wouldn't say it's a steal. Yes, may be 5 bedrooms but I wonder how big they are. The actual house doesn't look that big overall. So if there are 5 bedrooms crammed in, the living areas might have been sacrificed.
    This high set style home is popular in that area. Matt's question is worth investigating further. Is the house legal height underneath? Many of these types were originally designed with just storage underneath where the whole living area/bedrooms is upstairs. If you look closely, the kitchen is also upstairs which would confirm that this was indeed one of those houses.

8. BuyersAgent

@DeJ ?
    Bueller?

DeJ likes this.
  9. womble66

womble66 Well-Known Member

Shoalhaven Council has some stricter conditions than what you may find in Sydney but have soften over the last 10 years but IAW its current LEP has minimum lot sizes when considering dual occupancy.

In the case of detached dual occupancy, development will not be permitted on lots having an area of less than 700m2.

In the case of attached dual occupancy development will not be permitted on lots having an area of less than 500m2.

Do seeing its 696m2 it fails to meet the "standalone" granny flats requirements but of course do your own due diligence with SCC.

https://tinyurl.com/y89v2poo

Last edited: 2nd Dec, 2018
  10. BuyersAgent

@womble66 my observation in recent years is that dual occ rule is hard to use in practice for blocks that small and most importantly DOES NOT allow for subdivision. It is a hangover from the old former LEP which had an "attached flat" clause. Essentially it is a de facto granny flat or dual unit clause but it gets approved very rarely nowadays. Dual Occupancy SUBDIVISION developments require larger lot sizes again (and different sizes depending on the location on the lot size map) and are a very different beast. The amenity, privacy and drainage requirements are also much different. The State SEPP for secondary dwellings under 60sqm still trumps this rule for GF's as well so its important to know what your goals are so you can work out what kind of legislation to use for what development type.

11. DeJ

DeJ Well-Known Member

Haha, no action while I'm monitoring this, I go away and there are replies! Bueller indeed.
    Yes, it's definitely more than legal height downstairs.

12. DeJ

DeJ Well-Known Member

Anyone seen any good buys around lately?
    I'm still keen and keeping an eye on the area.