solar hot water leakage

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by bya38, 14th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bya38

bya38 Well-Known Member

my solar hot water mounted in the roof is leaking, i thought i was just a valve, called the plumber, and he told me the tank is broken, and he can't do nothing about it. ( I bought this house 8 months ago)

he offered to install a ground floor tank with an electrical heater, he told me it will cost around 2000$

guys what do you think, what's the best.

- Install a ground floor tanks with a heater.
    - replace the root mount tank
    - what about those continuous electrical heating system ?

thank you

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Our solar hot water system regularly dumps via the pressure valve when it overheats, it is an older Edwards unit.
    It struggles to keep up at this time of year, I've re wrapped it since the outer casing rusted and the insulation decayed because it is the stainless tank version (which I don't think anyone makes now days).
    Nothing roof mounted seems to be of a decent quality these days......
    Just moving the tank to the ground will make it easier to change, but will require a circulating pump to be installed, so another thing to go wrong, and won't solve the actual issue.
    I am going to hold onto our old Edwards unit for as long as possible, but when the day finally comes to say goodbye, I will expand our solar PV and install a heat pump storage unit (due to their efficiency when run during the day).
    Am sure @Scott No Mates has some valuable input on this subject

bya38 likes this.
  3. bya38

bya38 Well-Known Member

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I bought the place I am currently in (so not looking to re invent the wheel, yet).
    In the previous place I renovated I installed an instant gas water heater, in the 11 years I lived there my neighbor replaced his storage unit twice !!!!
    The reason I am persisting with and repairing the insulation on my 35+ year old Edwards roof unit is because the tank is stainless :)
    Made once, made right, and likely at a premium price point.
    Hardly anyone makes storage tanks like this now, why, because people only look at the price point and not the overall lifespan, besides they can't sell you a replacement in 6-12 years and profit from it :rolleyes:

bya38 likes this.
  5. bya38

bya38 Well-Known Member

@Stoffo any experience with instant electrical water heater ?

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are you solely looking at the price point? You still need to add the cost of installation, including moving plumbing points to ground level, provision of power etc.

Operational costs will only keep rising.

Have you checked out whether there's any government incentives for other types of HWS?

7. bya38

bya38 Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates , i am thinking of installing PV panels later, I got a quote for istore 270L

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Yes, in Thailand, they do ok for what they are.
    But you wouldn't want to be using one to fill a bath !
    It was ok for a shower to cool off, but it might not keep up for a nice long hot shower on a winters night.
    That and I imagine the high watt draw would keep the power company happy.

The only advantages of these is not having to run a hot water pipe, not wasting water wating for the hot to come thru and no storage tank...

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.